Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why is the Strech Series to be done once a week?

Tom J

Hi there everyone, I finally invested in the GymnasticBodies courses and I was curious about the Stretch Series. As the title asks, why is each one only done once a week? Is it not beneficial to do them two or three times a week for example? I trust that there is a reason I just don't know what it is and am curious. Thanks for any answers~^^ I'm excited about forming new habits around this stuff!

Giovanni Garcea

The explanation given is that these are very intense stretches, so you'll be too sore to be fully recovered. Also, there are three series, so you are already investing 3x45 minutes per week, plus it is recommended to have a daily limbering routine. And this is on top of the integrated mobility in the GB courses...

• Upvote 3

Petri Widsten

I basically agree with Giovanni but I know from my martial arts days that it is possible to do certain stretches from the middle and front split series intensely almost daily to the max without ill effects if you are used to those stretches. Whether it actually speeds up your progress is another thing and especially as a beginner you have to err on the side of caution. Certain thoracic bridge elements I'd do only once a week but e.g. SE3 is something I now do daily. I'd say start easy and get to know your limits - different individuals will respond to training in different ways.

• Upvote 2

GoldenEagle
4 hours ago, Petri Widsten said:

I basically agree with Giovanni but I know from my martial arts days that it is possible to do certain stretches from the middle and front split series intensely almost daily to the max without ill effects if you are used to those stretches. Whether it actually speeds up your progress is another thing and especially as a beginner you have to err on the side of caution. Certain thoracic bridge elements I'd do only once a week but e.g. SE3 is something I now do daily. I'd say start easy and get to know your limits - different individuals will respond to training in different ways.

Quoted to add emphasis, where needed.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
Kevin Easton

This is why I will only do each stretch series once per week.

Front Split hit; ankles, Achilles, calves, hamstrings, quads, and hip flexors

Side Split hits: Adductors, hips, hamstrings

As you can see, your hamstrings are getting hit on both FS and SS series.    If you are putting in an honest effort on the stretches you'll be sore (not painful, but noticeable) for a couple days.    Take some time to let your body recover.  Don't forget there are mobility exercises as well in Foundations. 

I have been doing FS and SS for a few months now. I have been doing them every -10 days and my progress has been quite impressive.  To be honest, I don't know if doing them twice a week would have really made much of a difference anyways.

I think that extra 45 minutes twice per week could have been spent on something else - ie 2 More Foundations workouts.

• Upvote 2