Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coach Sommer is on the Tim Ferriss Podcast

Coach Sommer

Jason Dupree

I've heard a lot of this stuff before, but i still find myself hanging on every word. The importance of mobility and proper progression and conditioning of connective tissue... it's all gold! It's good to be reminded, and very interesting to see in the context of someone new to GST. I still have a ways to go till I finish the whole podcast, can't wait to dig out all the nuggets. Thanks for sharing Coach!

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I like how Coach didn't hold back with the F-bombs and his thoughts on Obama and the like was an added insight into the world of Coach Sommer. Some of the anecdotes were similar to things I'd hear on his other podcasts with Robb Wolf, they were just more honest in these cases, which was appreciated! As per usual, Tim went for it and overindulged on the topic, something I don't think any listener regrets...

• Upvote 2

Eva Pelegrin

When I heard Coach say QL Walk, a light bulb went on. The only point of reference I have for that is back in my teenage days. It's an excellent self spinal mobilization (exactly what I need). How could I forget about this!! Also great for hamstrings and hip mobility, or teaching dynamic APT, good for erectors, core... I guess the list goes on.

I swear I used to walk like that across my studio in Barcelona, thinking it was a good exercise (for your thighs or butt), back when I had NO clue of what I was doing, except for rowing. Jeez, I can't even remember who/where I learned that from! But I can hear the song that my sisters teased me with from a legendary doll commercial from Spain. 

Who knew that 30 something years later Coach Sommer would re-introduce QL Walks into my life! After his podcast, that was the FIRST thing I did. My client: "What animal is that?" Me: "I don't know. This is awesome!" Client: "Looks like a snail." Me: "Leave me alone. I'm having a cathartic moment. I need 2 more minutes."

Thank you Coach so happy to be doing these again, like reuniting with an old friend! Please correct me if I'm wrong in my description below. I'll give it a try. Sorry no time to do video now.

QL WALK

• The starting position looks like an a L-sit, but instead of the arm support, picture literally sitting on the floor with your legs together and arms by your sides (90º profile).
  • Start by shifting your right hip forward (hips rotate Left) while keeping your legs engaged and straight together, and simultaneously slightly rotating your torso to the right (contralateral movement). 
  • Immediately after, move left hip forward (hips rotate Right) with torso turning left and repeat for time/laps. This is how you locomote with infinitesimal steps linked together (a few inches at a time). It's contralateral movement like in gait. Enjoy!
  • Upvote 9

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
2 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

When I heard Coach say QL Walk, a light bulb went on. The only point of reference I have for that is back in my teenage days. It's an excellent self spinal mobilization (exactly what I need). How could I forget about this!! Also great for hamstrings and hip mobility, or teaching dynamic APT, good for erectors, core... I guess the list goes on.

I swear I used to walk like that across my studio in Barcelona, thinking it was a good exercise (for your thighs or butt), back when I had NO clue of what I was doing, except for rowing. Jeez, I can't even remember who/where I learned that from! But I can hear the song that my sisters teased me with from a legendary doll commercial from Spain. 

Who knew that 30 something years later Coach Sommer would re-introduce QL Walks into my life! After his podcast, that was the FIRST thing I did. My client: "What animal is that?" Me: "I don't know. This is awesome!" Client: "Looks like a snail." Me: "Leave me alone. I'm having a cathartic moment. I need 2 more minutes."

Thank you Coach so happy to be doing these again, like reuniting with an old friend! Please correct me if I'm wrong in my description below. I'll give it a try. Sorry no time to do video now.

QL WALK

• The starting position looks like an a L-sit, but instead of the arm support, picture literally sitting on the floor with your legs together and arms by your sides (90º profile).
  • Start by shifting your right hip forward (hips rotate Left) while keeping your legs engaged and straight together, and simultaneously slightly rotating your torso to the right (contralateral movement). 
  • Immediately after, move left hip forward (hips rotate Right) with torso turning left and repeat for time/laps. This is how you locomote with infinitesimal steps linked together (a few inches at a time). It's contralateral movement like in gait. Enjoy!

So you're basically inching forward in a yoga 'staff' position or what would be an L-sit were your legs not on the ground? Correct? 

Eva Pelegrin

Yup, same markers as Staff pose and inching forward (I used to do backwards as well) with legs gliding engaged (not relaxed), almost hovering on the floor.

I didn't want to get into too many detalls and say something that is completely wrong, but ankle dorsiflexion seems like a good choice to "anchor" the opening of the lower posterior chain and strengthening anterior tib. Although I can also see how pointed toes could be another variation, if the goal was pike/straddle leg carryover. I hope Coach tell us his preference. 

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer
6 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

QL WALK

Well done, Eva.  Perfect description.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Christian Nogueira

I'm intrigued by this. Can anyone share a video as I'm having trouble visualizing it.

Barry Johnston

I joined here as a result of listening to that podcast.  I just wish I knew about this years ago.  So much great content in the podcast I'm going to have to listen to it multiple times.

• Upvote 3

Kate Abernethy
On 5/9/2016 at 6:33 PM, Kate Abernethy said:

3 hours wow! Sounds like an epic, full of gold. As another who needed a transcript, please may I ask if anyone would let me know the response to:

• What questions would Coach Sommer ask a gymnastic coach who trains adults? [2:34:24]

Thank you in hope :)

Bump.

;) Has anybody even got to 2mins 34secs yet?!

William Marler

Coach, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge like this. It's tremendous. I look forward to the sequel (and to the seminar/s that I will eventually figure out how to afford).

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
Michael Hwan
On 5/9/2016 at 9:21 AM, Coach Sommer said:

And it's here.

My lonnggg podcast with Tim Ferriss is now live.  Enjoy.  :icon_cool:

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2016/05/09/the-secrets-of-gymnastics-strength-training/

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I had a hard time visualizing what Tim and coach Sommer was describing when I was listening to their interview and I found this YouTube video that visualize the exercises while part of the podcast audio is overlaid on top of audio snippets. I hope you find you this helpful.

Alexander Egebak

Part 2 is a largely a good follow-up for part 1. Particularly the advice on treating immediate injuries and the importance of mobility.

Though I was genuinely hoping to have my academical interest satisfied with a bit more insight with GB.

• Upvote 1

Stephen Majerle

I couldn't believe my ears when he was taking about iron cross and Maltese training during his first months of exposure to GST. I'm 3+ years with GST and am nowhere close to thinking about an iron cross. Seems like he ignored some of the advice of the first podcast. 

William Marler
34 minutes ago, Stephen Majerle said:

I couldn't believe my ears when he was taking about iron cross and Maltese training during his first months of exposure to GST. I'm 3+ years with GST and am nowhere close to thinking about an iron cross. Seems like he ignored some of the advice of the first podcast. 

I had similar wonderment. I accepted it as I listened to it because it sounded like he had a lot of 1:1 work with Coach ... I figured Coach probably said it was ok. 

Once again, thanks for doing these Coach, I find them incredibly valuable and informative.