Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lean (one arm HS)

DanPlanche

So just wondering is there any flexibility conditioning that is needed to get a good lean on the one armed handstand or is it something that just comes with greater control of balance.

What I mean by lean is that I see some people seem to be able to get their foot on their right side (for right arm balancers) almost next to the floor when straddled. Also in a close legged one arm stand some bboys like Darkness and Junior go almost horizontal to the floor. Is this strength? however Junior is very small.

Richard Duelley

What he does at the beginning of that click is more like a one arm flag (aka a one arm planche) kind of move with bad form (from a hand balancing point of view :D ).

I always point people towards this video from Ido Portal for hand balancing drills. I believe Ido is working on the one arm flag and press from one arm elbow lever to one arm handstand (ie a sweat push up) but I dont think he has posted any videos of it yet. The video below is getting old and Ido has commented that he thinks it shows really bad hand balancing but I still look towards it for inspiration on a regular basis :mrgreen:

A true one arm handstand takes tons of dedication and even more practice!

IFoNFD7d0Dw

Dan,

I am having a hard time visualizing the handstand you're describing, so if you could grab a photo or clip, that might be helpful.

Though there's a 2-armed version I have been working on in which the legs are straddled and reach laterally almost to the floor.

The preparation I take before practicing this is to open my straddle as best as possible, and also to work lateral trunk flexion. It also seems to involve a very strong contraction of the obliques.

best of luck,

jason

Richard Duelley

Here, I embedded his video from above, he is describing a one arm flag/one arm planche (name depends on who you ask).

See first 10 seconds of the video.

dqPGpYR58kE

I just thought about this: Could you train this by doing an air baby and then work to pick your knee off your elbow?

Dan, Nifty,

I had thought you were referring to something more along these lines. Oblique-crusher. Though the pose you are training for looks quite different.

Perhaps training tips for this pose will help your lever. I can share with you what I have been advised:

1. Flexibility is essential for this exercise.

2. Against the wall, bend sideways as far as possible each way.

3. Have shorter legs.

best of luck,

jason

Richard Duelley

Thats a very cool looking position. I laughed at your 3rd training tip . . . at a little over 6 feet tall that would be quite difficult for me to do :mrgreen: I think having a solid regular human flag (aka side lever) would be a good place to start for getting your obliques strong enough to even consider doing the position pictured, and human flags are a great party trick on their own! 8)

im around 6 ft and have long legs which dont :D follow what I do.. hope to get this soon but want to dominate my 1 arm balance first.

Hopefully I can get 1 arm hs to Airbaby... which is why I need more lean