Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand push up: parallels or not?

Isaac Peramos

Isaac Peramos

Hi!

I'm training the handstand push up. I have a good handstand, so now it's time to handstand push up. The problem is that when I do hspu against the wall with parallels, I can do more reps than without parallels. I have less strength without parallels. It's in the eccentric part when is more hard. I want to know if this is for a bad strength transfer with the parallels and what is the weak link.

If you can help me, thank you!!

Douglas Wadle

I'm not understanding completely.  are you comparing against the wall w/ free HSPU?  or are you comparing wall HSPU parallel bars vs no PB's?  I'm guessing it may have to do with some arching and recruiting more of your chest muscles when you are using the PB's.  It could also have to do with poor wrist ROM/strength.  More info would be helpful.

Isaac Peramos

Yes, I'm comparing wall HSPU parallel bars vs no PB's. Because when I do wall HSPU parallel bars I can do more reps and I feel more strength, but when I do wall HSPU without PB's is more hard and I can't do as many reps as with PB's. I'm training this skill with wall for gain strength but maybe I should practise with free HSPU. Also I arch the lower back in the eccentric part, I've thought that this is a problem. Could this be a problem with the lack of more recruiting of chest muscles as you say? About wrists, I don't know. I think that the wrists are strong, I'm training plache too, and the wrists isn't a problem; but maybe I'm mistaken. Do you know some exercise for check the wrist ROM/strength?

Thanks for the reply! 

Coach Sommer

Post video of each variation.  Without video to evaluate, any advice provided is merely supposition.  Also you may be correct in the evaluation of your proficiency or you may be widely off base.

From your written description above, you have multiple issues that need to be dealt with and corrected.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1