Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Potatoes as main source of carbs

Fabio Pinna

Fabio Pinna

Hello everybody. I have a question.

My main source of carbs is, by far, potatoes. Potatoes are awesome and delicious and versatile and I could eat them all day everyday. They give me superpowers. And I never get tired of them, while I do get tired by other foods - like eggs, or rice. My potato consumption increased ever since starting Thrive - now I have potatoes for dinner pretty much everyday, especially because I can bake three kg of them on Sundays, and have them ready during the week.

My roommate noticed this. She is in med school, and doing her nutrition courses just right now. She keeps telling me that potatoes are a nightshade, that they contain solanine, and that so much solanine is bad for me. Especially, she says, since I also eat a ton of tomatoes - which is not wrong: I am Italian and I need tomatoes to be alive.

So my question is as follows: is she right? Could she be right, given the right circumstances? And if the answer is "no", how do I make her shut up for good on the subject?

I have been doing my own research on the subject, but I am interested to hear what you knowledgeable people have to say. I like comparing notes.

(And for who is interested, the answers I found by myself so far are "no", "no", and "kill her", but I'm open to changing them, especially the last one)

Thank you all in advance <3

F

• Upvote 4

Olli Kantola

Helllo,

Wikipedia suggests that a normal potato has between 7–187 mg/kg solanine content. Green potatoes have a lot more. Solanium is a glycoalkaloid and according to Wikipedia normal potato has 12–20 mg/kg of total glycoalkaloid content. These two appear to be in conflict, but it may just be that the first is the total variation and the second refers to the normal range.

The same said source suggests that according to the The U.S. National Toxicology Program the average American should consume at most 12.5 mg/day of solanine from potatoes.

I did a quick literature search via Medline and the sources seem to suggest 1.0 mg/kg a safe daily dose for ~99% of people. All the case studies about solanine poisoning were published several decades back.

The above would indicate that you would have to eat a lot of normal potatoes to reach toxic doses. However, green potatoes have several times the glycoalkaloids that normal potatoes have. The case studies of solanine poisoning were related to green potatoes.

You could ask your roommate if she would be interested in searching Scopus and Medline databases together with you. I bet that would be a good learning experience considering that she is in medical school.

Remember that it is the dose that makes the poison.

As a side note, I think that there have been some large scale human experiments dealing with this stuff done by accident, because the amounts of potatoes that you eat aren't exceptional when compared to the amounts of potatoes people eat in the Nordic countries for example.

• Upvote 6

Aaro Helander

Potatoes are one of the greatest carb sources for me: Exceptionally versatile, low calorie density, and for some reason they fill me up like no other carb. Weight loss would be soo much easier if people switched all their bread to potatoes. Been trying to tell this to my mom.

• Upvote 3

Petri Widsten

I don't eat potatoes at all (an atypical Finn for sure) - my starchy vegetables of choice are sweet potatoes, pumpkins and squashes. When eaten with oil you get lots of carotenoids you don't get from potatoes. I try to match starch intake to my training intensity and I've found I don't really need a lot. Most of my energy comes from fats and with low insulin I have quite stable energy levels throughout the day.

• Upvote 2

Eva Pelegrin

Petri, those are some of my favorites, but I eat potatoes too. Variety is king.

Last year, when my doctor saw my blood test he yelled: “You’re a pumpkin!” What do you mean? I asked. I turns out my carotenoids levels were up to the roof (425 ug/dL, 60-200 is standard range). No harm in that, I guess. Red, orange and yellow vegetables and fruits do the trick. I think that dark leafy greens also make the cut for carotenoids’ protective health benefits.

• Upvote 1

Ryan Bailey

Fabio, good post. But the burden of proof is on your roomate. She brougth the up that your are eating something "bad", so make her do all the work to prove her point. ;)Although Olli and Jeff provided good information to share with her.

Petri, those options look yummy. Dominik: inteinteresting article, but accurate self reported use of Solanaceae (like they used) in that population is probably going to be a challenge.

I want to add, since starting Thrive, I have been ADDING pleasant foods back into my meals that are enjoyable. Potatoes at the right time being one of them. I think they have contributed to improved satiety, rest and recovery.

• Upvote 1

Petri Widsten
On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 2:58 PM, Eva Pelegrin said:

Petri, those are some of my favorites, but I eat potatoes too. Variety is king.

Last year, when my doctor saw my blood test he yelled: “You’re a pumpkin!” What do you mean? I asked. I turns out my carotenoids levels were up to the roof (425 ug/dL, 60-200 is standard range). No harm in that, I guess. Red, orange and yellow vegetables and fruits do the trick. I think that dark leafy greens also make the cut for carotenoids’ protective health benefits.

Agreed, Eva. Carotenoids help protect your skin against UV radiation so they are surely useful - they actually give your skin an orange-yellow tinge if consumed enough. As they are lipophilic it's better to eat them with some type of fat to boost absorption. Capsicums are another good source. Dark leafy vegs like spinach also provide loads of folate. Never had my carotenoid levels measured but my folate levels were excellent when determined last year.

• Upvote 1

Eva Pelegrin

@Petri Widsten now that you mentioned it, my folate levels are usually high too.;)

My go to ingredient for fat is extra virgin olive oil (from Catalonia, my native country). With dark leafy greens, potatoes or brown rice, always, always, extra virgin olive oil + sea salt (autopilot). The flavors of pumpkins, sweet potatoes and squashes (Acorn is my favorite) are SO good that I steam them and eat them plain without butter. But I'll typically have a source of fat with any meal.

Capsicums. I love raw peepers! I don't buy them weekly or that often because organic peppers are very expensive in Manhattan and the regulars (laden with pesticides) are not an option. I still eat the organic ones maybe 1-2x/month. I spend all my money in quality foods and education. But it bothers me to pay $5 for an organic tomato or a pepper. If my grandma saw these prices… she would die again. Not to mention that their taste doesn't compare to the ones she grew in her garden. In Manhattan, people don't even know what a tomato is supposed to taste like. Sorry, top of the world!

• Upvote 2

Léo Aïtoulha

Potatoes, like all grains, contain many toxic antinutrients like lectins, trypsin inhibitors and saponins, which are harmful for health and performance. That is why I don't eat potatoes (I am on a Paleo diet).

Fabio Pinna

First of all, thanks for all the replies. They have certainly been interesting!

@Olli Kantola, thank you for your research. I too went on wikipedia to check for actual amounts, but she promptly shunned that datum on the premise that it's not the amount in each meal that creates problem (because, as you found out, I would need to eat around 5kg of potatoes to get solanine intoxication), but the accumulation in tissue over longer periods - especially as I eat tomatoes regularly and very frequently, which are another nightshade.

However, on the regard of prolonged consumption, the website linked by @Jeff Serven offers an excellent counterpoint. Thanks Jeff, I didn't know about that guy, and it has certainly been interesting reading about his shenanigans! I think that I can now safely be confident that there's no hidden danger in potatoes, after all - not that I ever really doubted it...

@Ryan Bailey, I agree with you completely. Usually it would have been easy for me to simply disregard her - I have to do it all the time, as the specific brand of medic she belongs to are wont to believe they know ALL about EVERYTHING. She has a tendency to say "I study medicine, I know what I'm saying" as proof of her statements :) First things she told me when I showed her videos of my training: don't squat that deep, don't bounce with knees completely extended.

However, this time she brought forth a point that I never considered (accumulation), so I thought it could be a good opportunity to ask for the opinion of this community. And I good a bunch of very good new info (and things to research upon), for which I thank you all.

@Léo Aïtoulha I am sure that there are some paleo circles that consider potatoes a grain, but they definitely are not.

@Eva Pelegrin fa sis anys que visc a Barcelona :D

The biggest thing I draw from this discussion is: disregard roommate, acquire tubers (not just potatoes). Grocery store here I come B-)

I am a bit lazy when it comes down to cooking for myself, so my potato preparation usually boils down to baking around 2kg at a time in the oven. I cut them in square sticks 1cm thick, leaving the skin on, then spray then with some olive oil (extra virgin only, or my Italian blood starts boiling), sprinkle sea salt and oregano on them, and bake until slightly before completely cooked. Then store in the fridge and finish cooking as needed - sometimes adding other spices (I love curry), if I feel like it. In the days when I feel less lazy , I peel the skin, make them in bigger chunks, then steam together with some string beans, sprinkle oil, salt, and vinegar, and destroy them on the spot, while singing about joy and happiness. For some reason, I don't like eating potatoes with butter or with cheese - feels too "heavy" of a meal, to me, but maybe that's just an habit.

• Upvote 2

Petri Widsten
16 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

@Petri Widsten now that you mentioned it, my folate levels are usually high too.;)

My go to ingredient for fat is extra virgin olive oil (from Catalonia, my native country). With dark leafy greens, potatoes or brown rice, always, always, extra virgin olive oil + sea salt (autopilot). The flavors of pumpkins, sweet potatoes and squashes (Acorn is my favorite) are SO good that I steam them and eat them plain without butter. But I'll typically have a source of fat with any meal.

Capsicums. I love raw peepers! I don't buy them weekly or that often because organic peppers are very expensive in Manhattan and the regulars (laden with pesticides) are not an option. I still eat the organic ones maybe 1-2x/month. I spend all my money in quality foods and education. But it bothers me to pay $5 for an organic tomato or a pepper. If my grandma saw these prices… she would die again. Not to mention that their taste doesn't compare to the ones she grew in her garden. In Manhattan, people don't even know what a tomato is supposed to taste like. Sorry, top of the world!

New Zealand, where I live, has great ev-olive oils that I use daily. Another favourite of mine is macadamia nut oil from Australia. I also devour entire avocados, grown in NZ, for that great oil. As I also eat NZ King Salmon or other local fish daily I think I have a fairly high fat diet.

• Upvote 1

Eva Pelegrin

@Fabio Pinna That's great! Sometimes lazy comes with benefits. The skin potatoes contains around 1/2 the total dietary fiber, although most nutrients I believe are found within the potato itself. To me the skin is the best tasting part. I never bother peeling them. I use a potato brush to clean them (a Vileda Salva Uñas works just as good). Actually, I prefer buying the smaller potatoes because I get more skin per square inch, haha. I really like the purple ones as they have a nutty, earthy taste and creamy texture plus low sugar.

Potatoes are the next super food! And glutten-free. There’s gotta be one potato here that even your roommate may like. 

@Petri Widsten "Macademia nut oil" never tried it, but a quick Google search indicates it's the Holy Grail (from reducing hair loss to preventing signs of aging, age spots, macular degeneration... and the list goes on).
It sounds like we both have a similar fat diet. I suspect that my portions might be smaller, but I do eat avocados daily, pine nuts daily (Mediterranean gene runs deep), wild salmon often, hummus, coconut, almonds, seeds, eggs... Btw, I have a friend from New Zeeland, who once showed me how he ate his avocados: cutting them in half and using a spoon! it never occurred to me to do it that way, since I always slice them with a knife and spread them on stuff. 

• Upvote 1

Jeff Serven

What does it matter if it is or is not a nightshade if you don't have an autoimmune?

Define "more nutritious" in regards to yams and sweet potatoes vs. white potatoes?

• Upvote 4

Petri Widsten

Eva, macadamia nut oil is like liquid gold. 80% of monounsaturated fats and high in micronutrients. Kind of buttery and great for frying. In Finland you can buy the same NZ brand (Olivado) of Aussie mac oil and NZ avo oil in some large supermarkets. 

I eat mixed nuts daily and an avocado with a spoon ☺ so we do seem to have similar diets.

Jeff Serven

Allen, Jonathan C. et al. Glycemic index of sweet potato as affected by cooking methods. Open Nutrition Journal 6 (2012).
Andre, Christelle, et al. Andean potato cultivars (Solanum tuberosum L.) as a source of antioxidant and mineral micronutrients. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 55 no.2 (2007): 366–378.

Atkinson, Fiona, et al. International tables of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2008. Diabetes Care 31 no.12 (December 2008): 2281-2283.

Bahado-Singh, Perceval S., et al. Relationship between processing method and the glycemic indices of ten sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) cultivars commonly consumed in Jamaica. Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism 2011.

Beausoleil, Janet L., et al. Anaphylaxis to raw potato. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology 86 no.1 (January 2001): 68-70.

Bouis, Howarth and Yassir Islam. Delivering nutrients widely through biofortification: Building on orange sweet potato. International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) Brief 11 (June 2012).

Brown, C.R. Antioxidants in potato. American Journal of Potato Research 82 no.2 (March–April 2005): 163-172.

Burlingame, Barbara, et al. Nutrients, bioactive non-nutrients and anti-nutrients in potatoes. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 22, no. 6 (September 2009): 494–502.

Burri, Betty J. Evaluating sweet potato as an intervention food to prevent Vitamin A deficiency. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety 10 (2011).

De Swert, L.F.A., et al.  Diagnosis and natural course of allergy to cooked potatoes in children. Allergy 62 no.7 (July 2007): 750-757.
Denham, Tim. Ancient and historic dispersals of sweet potato in Oceania. PNAS 110 no.6 (February 5, 2013): 1982–1983.

Huang GJ, et al. Defensin protein from sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas [L.] Lam ‘Tainong 57’) storage roots exhibits antioxidant activities in vitro and ex vivo. Food Chem 135 no.3 (Dec 2012): 861-7.

Huang, Dong-Jiann, et al. Antioxidant and antiproliferative activities of sweet potato constituents. Bot. Bull. Acad. Sin. 45 (2004): 179-186.
Jeffery J, et al. Physical barriers to carotenoid bioaccessibility: Ultrastructure survey of chromoplast and cell wall morphology in nine carotenoid-containing fruits and vegetables. Journal of Science, Food, & Agriculture 92 no.13 (Oct 2012): 2594-602.

Jiao, Yuzhi, et al. Study on chemical constituents and antioxidant activity of anthocyanins from purple sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L.). International Journal of Food Engineering 8 no.2 (June 2012).

Jung, Joong-Keun, et al. Distribution of phenolic compounds and antioxidative activities in parts of sweet potato (Ipomoea batata L.) plants and in home processed roots. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 24, no.1 (February 2011): 29–37.

Kim SH, et al. Cloning and characterization of an Orange gene that increases carotenoid accumulation and salt stress tolerance in transgenic sweetpotato cultures. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 70 (September 2013):445-54.

Lachman, J., et al. Red and purple coloured potatoes as a significant antioxidant source in human nutrition – a review. Plant, Soil and Environment – UZPI (Nov 2005).

Landon, S. et al. The Resistant Starch Report: An Australian update on health benefits, measurement and dietary intakes. Food Australia 2012.

Low, Jan, et al. The introduction of orange-fleshed sweet potato in Mozambican diets: A marginal change to make a major difference. In Diversifying Food and Diets: Using Agricultural Biodiversity to Improve Nutrition and Health. Routledge, 2013: 283-290.

Low JW, et al. A food-based approach introducing orange-fleshed sweet potatoes increased vitamin A intake and serum retinol concentrations in young children in rural Mozambique. Journal of Nutrition 137 no.5 (May 2007): 1320-1327.

Ludvik B, Hanefeld M, Pacini G. Improved metabolic control by Ipomoea batatas (Caiapo) is associated with increased adiponectin and decreased fibrinogen levels in type 2 diabetic subjects. Diabetes Obes Metab. 10 no.7 (July 2008): 586-92.

Ludvik, Bernhard, et al. Efficacy of Ipomoea batatas (Caiapo) on diabetes control in Type 2 diabetic subjects treated with diet. Diabetes Care 27 no.2 (February 2004): 436-440.

Mehr, Sam. Food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome: 16-year experience. Pediatrics 123 no. 3 (March 2009): e459 – e464.

Monti, G. et al. A case of severe allergic reaction to cooked potato. Acta Paediatrica 100 no.11 (November 2011): 236-238.

Nassar, Atef M.K., et al. Some Canadian-grown potato cultivars contribute to a substantial content of essential dietary minerals. Journal of Agicultural and Food Chemistry 60 no.18 (2012): 4688–4696.

Ooi CP, Loke SC. Sweet potato for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews 9 (September 2013): CD009128.

Pramod, S.N., et al.  Potato lectin activates basophils and mast cells of atopic subjects by its interaction with core chitobiose of cell-bound non-specific immunoglobulin E.  Clinical and Experimental Immunology 148 (2007): 391–401.

Rose, Ingabire Marie and Hilda Vasanthakaalam. Comparison of the nutrient composition of four sweet potato varieties cultivated in Rwanda. American Journal of Food & Nutrition 1 no.1 (2011): 34-38.

Roullier, Caroline, et al. Disentangling the origins of cultivated sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam.). PLoS 1 8 no.5 (May 2013).

Roullier, Caroline, et al. Historical collections reveal patterns of diffusion of sweet potato in Oceania obscured by modern plant movements and recombination. PNAS 110 no.6 (February 5, 2013): 2205–2210.

Schmidt, Mirko, et al. Evaluation of patatin as a major cross-reactive allergen in latex-induced potato allergy, Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology 89 no.6 (December 2002): 613-618.

Senthilkumar R, Yeh KW. Multiple biological functions of sporamin related to stress tolerance in sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas Lam). Biotechnology Advances 30 no.6 (Nov-Dec 2012): 1309-17.

Shewry, Peter. Plant storage proteins. Annals of Botany 91 no.7 (2003): 755-769.

Tanumihardjo SA, Palacios N, Pixley KV. Provitamin A carotenoid bioavailability: What really matters? International Journal of Vitamin & Nutrition Research 80 no.4-5 (October 2010): 336-50.

Teow, Choong C. Antioxidant activities, phenolic and b-carotene contents of sweet potato genotypes with varying flesh colours. Food Chemistry 103 (2007): 829–838.

Tomlins, Keith, et al. Relationship among the carotenoid content, dry matter content and sensory attributes of sweet potato. Food Chemistry, 131 no.1 (2012): 14-21.

Trinidad, Trinidad P., et al. Sweet potato and cassava can modify cholesterol profile in humans with moderately raised serum cholesterol levels. Food & Nutrition Sciences 4 (2013): 491-495.

Tumuhimbise GA, Namutebi A, Muyonga JH. Microstructure and in vitro beta carotene bioaccessibility of heat processed orange fleshed sweet potato. Plant Foods in Human Nutrition 64 no.4 (December 2009): 312-8.

Velloso, A., et al. Anaphylaxis caused by Ipomoea Batatas. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 113 no.2 (February 2004): S242.
Wahl R., et al. IgE-mediated allergic reactions to potatoes. International Archives of Allergy & Immunology 92 (1990): 168–174.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
Alexey Gerasimov

If we talk solanine and you want to reduce it's content in potatoes just peel the skin a little thicker because most of the solanine is in the skin and right under it  (sorry skin lovers) and don't use potatoes that turn green (or peel even thicker) and don't eat sprouted ones. And cook at high temperature - at least 170C (338F). That's it.

Or get serious and find out solanine content in variety that you use and do the math :)

Actually commercial varieties usually contain no more than 12mg/100g (3-13 average) and if higher than 14mg then it will become bitter. Russet is 8mg/100g on average (McDonald's uses it :) ) . So i guess it's pretty safe to eat good quality potatoes with skin especially if you already do it :) 

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...
Frankincensed

Kind of curious how you dealt with this - did you change your potato eating habit,  introduce a greater variety of carb sources or just peel your potatoes?  

• 2 weeks later...
Dorian Brown

With diet I feel like people get so deep into the minutia when it's not really necessary. If you are meeting your goals, your blood work is good and you like what you're eating what's the problem. 

I suspect a more important issue isn't the over consumption of potatoes but the corresponding under consumption of other super health sources of CHO (wide variety of veggies and fruits)

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.