Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beginning Rope Climbing

Guest Christopher Bassett

Hello,

I have 2 questions regarding rope climbing. I managed to do legless rope climbs yesterday for the 1st time and I want to ensure I train it correctly.
I will only train it twice a week for now because I am nervous about overload on the elbows.

For a beginner:

1) Should one be climbing up fast or should a slight pause be taken on each pull up on the rope?
2) Would climbing up say 2 metres and back down once for 4 sets a good start and then build the reps as I get stronger?

Edited by Christopher Bassett

Maksis Riley

In gymnastic bodies rope climbs are something that isn't seriously trained for quite some time. As you said there is a strong risk of tendon pains and injuries especially in the elbows if you are ill prepared. 

This doesn't mean don't do rope climbs but rather that it may not be beneficial to have them as the focus of your training yet.

Without knowing your current level of strength it is pretty difficult to say what is and isn't a good idea for you. The most risk free thing you could do is work the foundations courses. You'll build the strength to rope climb and beyond safely and progressively without having to gamble :)

The course are more than worth the investment in my opinion. 

Max

• Upvote 1

I probably should have mentioned my strength levels whoops.
I have been performing rope climbs for a few months now but moving my hands apart as I have gained strength.
I thought this method would help me accomplish one arm pull ups due to the one hand assisting less over time.
I began with one hand underneath the other pull ups. Once this was easy I would have one hand at elbow level and then pull up etc.
I can pull up with one hand roughly at shoulder level so I thought I could try full legless rope climbs.

Jon Douglas

Course material including Coachs programming for rope climbs will be discussed in the appropriate course forums only :)

Rope climbs are essential for GST but a certain amount of prep on elbows shoulder mobility and pulling strength. Once that is in place, as with everything else, volume can be increased fairly rapidly 

• Upvote 1