Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Weighted mobility in Stretch Series

Nathaniel Romeo

Nathaniel Romeo

I have just purchased the front split stretch series.  I am a national level swimmer and was hoping to eventually use all three stretch series to help with my mobility, without the foundation or other series, as there is no way I could fit it into my training program.  The biggest draw card for me was that I thought they included weighted mobility drills.  Increasing strength in range of motion.  Aside from the calf raises the front split series does not include any jefferson curls or other exercises I expected it might.  Do the other stretch series (thoracic bridge, middle splits) contain weighted mobility?

Mikkel Ravn

I don't own the front split course, but I do have the Middle Split course.

Weighted mobility is mainly in the Foundation and Handstand (F & H) series (by weighted, I also mean body weight, as some of the hardest mobility drills in those series are solely body weight).

Generally Foundation and Handstand will give you new ranges of motion, and strength in those ranges. The Stretch series is mainly for opening up ROM, so that it can be accessed for further practical use in F & H.

This is a truth with modifications, of course, as there's a chicken and egg effect between gaining strength in a ROM and opening new ROM.

• Upvote 2

Jon Douglas

That's correct. Integrated mobility, including weighted work, is in the Foundation and Handstand series. The stretch series addresses passive flexibility for their respective pose.

• Upvote 1

Ronnicky Roy

There are very few weighted stretches in the courses, but those are on a "as needed" basis for a stretch or two. 

Actually Ronnicky, there are many weighted mobility drills in the courses. All the stall bar stretches are weighted, bodyweight forces go up due to levers involved, not to mention jefferson curls, xiaopeng's, pike squats, straddle squats, bent knee hurdlers, straight leg hurdlers, round the worlds, lat stretches and they list goes on :)

Ronnicky Roy
39 minutes ago, Wesley Tan said:

Actually Ronnicky, there are many weighted mobility drills in the courses. All the stall bar stretches are weighted, bodyweight forces go up due to levers involved, not to mention jefferson curls, xiaopeng's, pike squats, straddle squats, bent knee hurdlers, straight leg hurdlers, round the worlds, lat stretches and they list goes on :)

I was referring to the stretch series. Those drills don't have many weighted stretches, unlike foundation that does.

• Upvote 1