Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frog stance to tuck planche transition

Guest biomieg

Joshua Naterman

Oh, the planche leans are kick ass. I use them a lot, I just use the swiss ball to get a deeper arm angle than I can currently handle with the lean. It's quite impressive how much of a difference it can make!

Thanks for the suggestions. Lately my progress with the planche has been hindered by moving, and a crazy work schedule. When I was seriously working on earlier in the year, I progressed fairly well to a 30s max tuck planche. Inactivity has dropped that down to 20s right now.

I like doing my PPPs on my parallettes in a tuck plance. 3x3 is all I can do with those, but the arm angle is enough to maintain balance, and no more.

Hey biomieg, small world, I'm a scientist too.

As for the post, I think I read an old post with someone suggesting the idea of assistance bands when starting tuck planches. Think he said you can attatch them to a pull up bar and around your waist. Didnt try them though so dont know how good they are or if the more experienced guys would advise this idea. I just stuck with advanced frog stand as it helps my weak wrists a lot. I only noticed the elbow pain when my knees were dirrectly on my elbows. When I started positioning my knees more on my tricep the pain went away. Once again Im not sure if this is good practice, I'm quite new to all this.

Think my next SSC I'll have a go at the planche leans. Didnt hear them mentioned when I made a similar post a while back but they sound like a brilliant idea.

You should definitely try the planche leans! I still haven't started the SSC routine I created, life's too hectic right now, but I'm sort of 'greasing the groove' by doing some L-sits, planche leans, tuck planches, and pseudo-planche pushups whenever I can. The structured workouts will have to wait another couple of weeks but I'm definitely looking forward to them.

I took some pics this weekend, and I noticed that the form of my tuck planche is actually quite good. I'm still not able to hold it longer than about 5 seconds at most (on parallettes) but it is improving. You know what the silly thing is? I have more trouble really tucking my legs under my body than holding the tuck planche itself :D It's hard for me to really 'close' my legs, meaning that my lower legs are at about a 40° angle to my upper legs when I'm folding them under me in the tuck planche. Although I'm fairly skinny, I have quite big calf muscles and they seem to get in the way! This means that my feet are dangling way close to the parallettes, even when my hips in the tuck planche are getting close to shoulder height. And if I try to compensate by tucking my knees closer to my chest, my lower back curves more, resulting in a drop of the hips... that's why I have trouble doing the tuck planche on the floor right now.

I guess I'll just have to work towards the flat tuck planche... and in the meantime just squeeze those hamstrings along with the rest! :D

Joshua Naterman
Hey biomieg, small world, I'm a scientist too.

As for the post, I think I read an old post with someone suggesting the idea of assistance bands when starting tuck planches. Think he said you can attatch them to a pull up bar and around your waist. Didnt try them though so dont know how good they are or if the more experienced guys would advise this idea. I just stuck with advanced frog stand as it helps my weak wrists a lot. I only noticed the elbow pain when my knees were dirrectly on my elbows. When I started positioning my knees more on my tricep the pain went away. Once again Im not sure if this is good practice, I'm quite new to all this.

Think my next SSC I'll have a go at the planche leans. Didnt hear them mentioned when I made a similar post a while back but they sound like a brilliant idea.

I think Ido is the one who mentioned the bands. They definitely work! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying the planche leans a couple of weeks now and can already feel the difference. You realy can feel all the muscles tightening described in the planche, unlike the advanced frog stand. I've tried to lift the legs with my back (unsuccessfully) and can feel the back muscles realy tightening. I reckon another 6 weeks of this and I should be ready for the tuck... heyhey

Im just starting out on these progressions and they are tough coming from a weight training background I thought that it might help boy was I wrong! As I'm 31 but only feel 21 (yes I'm in denial) Im expecting slow progress but Im enjoying the training. Im definietly going to try the swiss ball planche leans they sound achievable I think :?

Joshua Naterman

If you're pretty strong like I was from weights, you'll make pretty good progress. Just don't go faster than the book says even if you are able to, because your tendons will get hurt! I did that and it sucks lol :) Don't make my mistake.