Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Freestanding Headstand Pushup Help

Alexander Castiglione

Alexander Castiglione

Hey GB, 

So I'm working on Headstand Pushups freestanding. I can do them all day "against a wall" in the bastardized Crossfit fashion - in fact can crank out over 20 strict, so strength isn't the issue, it's balance. 

I'm still working on handstands, now am just working on good alignment against the wall, wall runs, etc - i can nail a 10-15s freestanding handstand every now and then (i know, nothing to write home about). That being said, are my attempts at a freestanding HeSPU in vain? or can someone give me some pointers? What i'm concentrating on at the bottom is to maintain that slight lean, PPT, squeeze glutes, then start to cant vertically and press out. I can get to the top, but I either fall out of position at the top, or when I'm lowering. 

Anybody else have similar issues? Fixes or drills that worked? 

Thanks! 

Alessandro Mainente

Post your free hs then i'll tell you if you have reasonable chances to do a proper free headstand push up.

i think when you can do a 15 sec free handstand and 20 wall hspu it is only a matter of time.

You have to get the right feeling for the free pushups.

Try to do free nagatives as slow as possible to get a feeling for the balance in all positions

John Koliopoulos

wall hspu is nothing near as difficult as freestanding. Especially as most people flare elbows, lose core tightness and arch their backs. You have zero chance of doing freestanding properly if you do not have consistent 30s handstand with correct alignment (i.e. open shoulders, PPT, core engaged, pointed toes.). I can tell you from experience if I am completely gassed after my normal volume of free hspu (usually 25r in max 15mins), most times I can still bang out a set of ten against the wall. Focus on HS development primarily.

The most difficult part to master is opening shoulders again while pressing up to get into a perfect HS again. It is taxing on stabilizator muscles and requires balancing skill. And I doubt you are strong enough to perform multiple reps freestanding. On the wall you will be recruiting your pecs to reduce stress on shoulders, I have not seen anybody that didn't know how to perform free hspu perform perfect reps on the wall. You just do not know how it should feel. 

Good luck with your training.

• Upvote 3

Coach Sommer
1 hour ago, John Koliopoulos said:

wall hspu is nothing near as difficult as freestanding. Especially as most people flare elbows, lose core tightness and arch their backs. You have zero chance of doing freestanding properly if you do not have consistent 30s handstand with correct alignment (i.e. open shoulders, PPT, core engaged, pointed toes.). I can tell you from experience if I am completely gassed after my normal volume of free hspu (usually 25r in max 15mins), most times I can still bang out a set of ten against the wall. Focus on HS development primarily.

The most difficult part to master is opening shoulders again while pressing up to get into a perfect HS again. It is taxing on stabilizator muscles and requires balancing skill. And I doubt you are strong enough to perform multiple reps freestanding. On the wall you will be recruiting your pecs to reduce stress on shoulders, I have not seen anybody that didn't know how to perform free hspu perform perfect reps on the wall. You just do not know how it should feel. 

Good luck with your training.

Well said, John.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alexander Castiglione

Thanks John and Coach - pretty much what I figured, just wanted some expert advice. Will table freestanding HSPU until I have a solid freestanding handstand (just like I had to table press to handstand work since I realized - "what am I pressing to?" lol) 

Thanks as always for your bluntness and solid advice. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...