Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I need help about rope climbing and foundations

Sergio Catalan

Sergio Catalan

Hello!

I've been doing kind of Btgb program for about a year. My main goal is the OAC and I'm quite close. I do 3x4 reps with 5kg asistant quite easy. I also train rope climbing twice a week (3 x 7m) and static positions. I love RC. I also have a static hansdtand for 15" and 1' in movement. I'm thinking about start with the F1 or F2, but I don't want to step back in RC or handstand because I love to train them.

I read you have to follow the foundations exactly so I don't know what to do. I do planche, FL, BL progression, I like them but if I have never get the planche I really don't care.

Can you help me with your advice?

Thank you very much!!

Edited by Sergio Catalan

Alessandro Mainente

-I do not think that starting again from the beginning is the real problem. a lot of students and also me have started again. it is the part of the process. You can maintain what you can do but focus on the correct path.

-the correct path ensure that you will progress to str pl, front lever, manna, side lever, hollowbackpress, rope climbing and single leg squat without any type of injuries.

-Back lever is not considered a beginner work so you don't have to work with back lever on the foundations course.

-Does not matter how much can you hold the handstand if the quality is low, the handstand course is constructed to avoid bad executions.

-You do not have to choose between F1 OR F2, there is F1 and after F2.

If you want to prepare yourself for advanced work Foundations and at least H1 are highly recommended. all the other skills could be maintained.

• Upvote 3

Sergio Catalan

First of all thank you for your response. 

So do you mean I'll be progressing even stepping back in certain exercises? I've been climbing ropes for 12 years..  

Would I quit from rope climbing and fit to F1+H1? If I do that how much time do you think I'll need to include ropes again following the foundations? 

Any other opinion please ? 

Thanks again !! 

Edited by Sergio Catalan

Alessandro Mainente

If you read carefully my answer I've stated that you can maintain your strength , so first the foundations, then if you have energy you can do something more. the biggest problem for adults it is not strength itself but mobility, and you will spend the most of the time on mobility that is necessary to ensure that under some exercise muscles and joints work together in the correct way without compensations or forced range of motion due to imbalances.

Impossible to predict how much time do you need to use regularly the rope for your goals.

I do not think you will have different opinions for your question. GST approach for adults created years over years by C. Sommer has some fixed keypoints and suggestions which are widely shared by all the senior members here. 

• Upvote 3

Sergio Catalan

Ok, thank you Alessandro. 

Sorry for ask again,  but if I do some ropes or some OAC workout after foundations, won't it be too much pulling work? I can create some unbalance in the body... 

Another one, is there any handstand work in foundations of only in the handstand course? 

Thanks again 

Alessandro Mainente

Probably if you cannot show a proper handstand you already have imbalances that should be addressed with mobility. Of course if you create more work on one side you need to balance on the opposite.

handstand 1 is a separated course that sooner or later is a requirement to achieve the foundations 3 and 4 exercises.

Eva Pelegrin

Sergio, listen CAREFULLY to what Alessandro is saying. First F1. Then, if you have room/energy you can do extra.
What's "extra" and how much? You will have to experiment and find it out for yourself after you bathe in the humble waters of F1 (that's the genie of the bottle speaking, not me);)

Hint: WHEN you make it a priority to make progress in F1, the way F1 is structured doesn't leave much room to add that much extra stuff. Very clever, indeed. in F1, you're not working in a press/pull/legs day split, or separate bent arm/straight arm strength days, so you have to forget about that kind of thinking or programming ( I had to) and see how well you do with F1 first. Don't worry about "creating" some new imbalances. The don't happen overnight. I'd worry about correcting the ones you bring to the table with F1.

Conclusion: get F1 + H1 at a minimum. 

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer
1 hour ago, Sergio Catalan said:

Ok, thank you Alessandro. 

Sorry for ask again,  but if I do some ropes or some OAC workout after foundations, won't it be too much pulling work? I can create some unbalance in the body... 

Another one, is there any handstand work in foundations of only in the handstand course? 

Thanks again 

Mobility will almost certainly be lacking.

If you find the combination of the F1 pulling elements first and then RC at the end of the workout too demanding, then your RC foundation is clearly insufficient.

Remember also that higher level strength elements will go to maintainence mode while deficiencies in physical preparation are addressed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Sergio Catalan

I think it's totally clear, thank you all for your advice! 

I think I'm going to gift me the starter pack for my birthday (on Friday) LOL

Thank you!  

• Upvote 2

Sergio Mgencasa

Hello,

It's Sergio again. Starting my second week with F1 and H1. I feel quite humiliated by the "easy" exercises of the program LOL.

I'm still adjusting the program to me. I do 4days template. Coach Sommer told me I could do RC after my pulling exercises from F1. I'd like to add some RC and HSPU once or two days a week, is it right if I do it after my F1 work BUT not the day I do pulling exercises?

I fight to get the sets and reps requeried but I finish too fresh my workouts...

Thank you!

Sergio Mgencasa

I add the RC exercise because I think it's more kind of lack of flexibility or mobility... I'm not sure. 

Any help please?

Jon Douglas

Now that you are posting on specific course material, please post your questions in the F1 course forum :)