Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stall bars and metal studs don't mix

Eva Pelegrin

Eva Pelegrin

Last Christmas I asked for stall bars and Santa delivered, but really, my greatest gift was discovering GB two weeks later. The irony was I couldn’t install my stall bars on my sheetrock walls because I only have thin metal studs, so they’ve been sitting behind my entrance door until yesterday! Tragic.

There’s only one spot in my entire place where the stall bars could fit, right between my windows (and that was only after I gifted a spin bike to one of my trainers). To add insult to injury, that fake wall is actually narrower than the width of any stall bar. I had to speak to my super and get permission to tear down my studio wall in order to find the real building wall. Then, I hired a building engineer to create a custom steel frame and do the installation. This project included cutting the wall, welding industrial steel custom-made brackets, fumes, smoke (4th of July in a box), all while I was doing my Fri F7! 

It’s an Artimex model and I chose oval rungs. Below are some pictures from the installation, in case someone has a similar challenge. Note the 3/8” steel brackets, in comparison to the factory ones laying by the side on picture SB04. One thing is for sure, there will be no YouTube videos of my stall bars ripping out of this wall nor people falling in my place. I will be paying for this installation for the rest of the year, but it is worth it to me. Feeling a sense of accomplishment. Getting anything done in this city is a miracle by definition. Here I am doing my Half HLL, keeping my legs straight, as promised.

SB00-wall.JPG

SB01-hole.JPG

SB02-welding.jpg

SB03-grinding.JPG

SB04-steel brackets.jpg

SB05-cutting.JPG

SB05-stall bars.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Julia Quigley

Congrats!!! I had stall bars built for me and when they went to install them in my concrete walls, they discovered my walls were't entirely concrete. Portions are, but the rest is presumably cinder block that is turning sandy with age and won't anchor anything heavier than a book case. For now, I clamp my stall bars to a steel door frame every time I want to use them. 

I'm jealous of your long-term solution, and I empathize with your long journey to get them installed! 

Enjoy :) 

Eva Pelegrin

Thank you Julia! The equipment challenge will continues as we progress. I wrote a post about this subject this weekend. I'm set for a while now. Gotta make my bungees next.

• 2 weeks later...
Kevin Herring

Congrats!

Having a few issues getting some stall bars installed myself.

What model stall bars did you get?

Eva Pelegrin

5th picture, starting from the top. Both brackets styles are on the floor. Next to the level tool. The small silver L shape ones are factory. The black, big ones I got custom made, long enough to go thru my sheetrock wall.

With a brick wall, you won't have as much of a hassle. 

• 2 months later...
Kevin Herring

I'm wondering is there enough clearance to do pull ups?  The top looks close to the ceiling and wondering if you bump your head. 

I'm close to buying but was thinking of a 6.5 foot model instead of the 7' 10" one you installed. 

Eva Pelegrin

I don't use it for pull ups. It would depend on your ceiling height.

Depending on how tall you are, another consideration is to being able hang without your feet touching the ground. To me that's more important. Artimex sells a pull up attachment for that purpose.

Good luck figuring out your ideal set up.

Kevin Herring

I hadn't thought about being able to hang without my feet touching the floor.  :huh: And while I'm not that tall a stall ball of 6.5 feet would allow my feet to touch.  Question answered.  Thanks.

Christopher Denzer

Hi Eve: 

I'm in Jackson Heights, Queens. I sympathize with the issues of putting up anything in a NYC building. I am thinking of installing some stall bars in my small studio.