Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slow Reps useful?

Sean Matsuda

Sean Matsuda

Hi, tried the search but did not find something about this,

My goal is only to get stronger/ gain the strength to perform higher level movements, muscle size itself is not a big concern but I do like muscle density, which comes with hard low rep training. Thus I only do stuff for 2-6 reps and/or holds for 4-15 seconds. I do not care at all about high endurance ( If I can do something 6 times easily or hold for 30 seconds I'm good )

I been experiencing with doing lower level stuff, but at a very slow pace for the same amount of reps ( like regular pullups VERY slow instead of assisted one arms, regular slow hanging legs raises instead of assisted one arm leg raises ). 

When I do them, if I go very slow then of course, I can only do a few reps ( 2-5 )

But are they any useful? Do they provide some kind of strength benefit other than what I am already doing?  It seems like all I am really doing is endurance work... even if it's low reps. I don't want to bother with it if all it does is work my slow twitch muscle fibers (endurance) these are not the muscle fibers I care to develop. 

I been reading stuff about connective tissue online but that seems to be related to endurance, I'm not sure though. From what I know so far, strength has a lot to do with tendons and how hard the muscle can contract, I am new to this connective tissue thing.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Travis Widmann

Thing is, if you want to strengthen your connective tissue you're going to have to deal with higher rep ranges and longer hold times. It sucks, and it hurts, but there's no way around it. The ranges you're talking about are nothing. If you want to gain the strength and conditioning to perform high level movements, the good news is that Foundation is designed for that exact purpose. Bad news is you're not going to like the protocol.

• Upvote 1

Chris Korovesis

If your goal is to get stronger/ gain the strength to perform higher level movements you have to be more neuromuscular eficient. To do this you need proper programming like Travis said,  good form with controlled manner (not slow for the exercise) . Slow reps didnt help anyone in sports. Speed with good form and getting stronger.