Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fingers, Hands, Wrists, Elbows

Kevin Herring

Kevin Herring

Currently doing F1, H1, H2, three days a week, M1 once and stretching courses two days a week.  So setting aside that I'm already doing the wrist stretching and strengthening let's discuss additional work.

My job is killing my hands!  Lots of tendinitis, pre carpal tunnel aches.  And I know it's the job because these are reduced when I do GST.  And the aches have on average gone down since I started GST.

But my hands occasionally wake me up at night with numbness and pain.

So let's discuss what can be done to increase blood flow and healing to lower arms and hands without adding additional taxing movements. 

I've started doing little things like dowel finger spins, squishy grip ball, trigger point therapy, Chinese meditation ball spinning (using golf balls, pool balls, ball bearings), to name a few. 

Probably should add in ice, epson salt, and vibrational massage.  But would like to hear from what others have tried.

Kevin Herring

Actually a different job would help me most of all.  ;)

No, but it's probably a next step. 

I've had elbow tendinitis a couple times before and the best thing for it was letting it heal and taking a break from training. That meant doing no training or unnecessary movements throughout the day. Took 6 months and was frustrating but I am now pain free and back to a normal training schedule.

The best thing I found was heat application. Just apply a heated gel pack to the area as many times a day as possible. I even went to bed with old socks that I cut the top off and wore it on my elbow to keep it warm. May want to try wearing some sort of gloves in your case. Just make sure the material doesn't irritate your skin.

I also did contrast baths when it was convenient. Got 2 bowls of water. One with hot water as much as I could handle, and then the other with cold water that had ice cubes in it. I basically just alternated between the two. One minute at a time or as long as I could handle. I just stopped when the water got lukewarm.

I suggest trying that and see if it helps. You should notice a difference after a couple of weeks of being consistent with it. It should at least stop you being woken up with pain.

Coach Sommer

Focus on finger extension exercises to relieve carpal tunnel symptoms.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2