Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are planches and levers generally achievable?

Colm Mccoy

I am about half way through F1 and thoroughly enjoying it.  But having had the occasional stab at tuck planches and levers (like you do) only to realise how weak I am in the requisite planes of force, I wonder about the achievability of these movements for ordinary mortals.  For example, 3 years ago I started Oly lifting as part of crossfit having never previously picked up a barbell in my life.  Initially I could only clean and jerk about 50% of my bodyweight, but after two years I was achieving 110%.  I am nothing special, just a 54 year old man trying to stay in shape.  From my observations most other males seem to reach roughly the same level after a couple of years, and some do a lot better (150%).  So I would conjecture that for most reasonably fit and healthy men a bodyweight c&j is comfortably achievable.  Can one make the same conjecture about planches and levers?  Or does one have to be at the top end of the strength spectrum to have a hope?

Artur Krajewski

I am probably just like you looking after "advanced" positions live levers.

What I understood being part of this community for a while now is that if you want exceptional results, you cannot follow what most people are doing. Most people do not follow proven programs, are not exceptionally dedicated(even if they say so) and so on. 

As far as I remember this topic is also mentioned in Foundation One Webinar, where coach states that with proper training those goals are achievable. He also mentioned the distinction between being able to do a exercise and being able to train it effectively. What is your definition of achievable? Please, listen to Webinar if you have some spare time for more details.

That said I am also looking forward for comments from more advanced colleagues.

Alessandro Mainente

Yes the foundations lever are possible for all the people. Of course you should work to make them easier, E.g: the straddle planche, the more you open the legs the more it is similar to an adv tuck pl. 

I consider full planche a long therm goal, harder but possible. As you move over adv elements you will discover where you have more possibility but seriously you have no idea on how much flexibility plays a big role.

• Upvote 2

Eva Pelegrin
10 hours ago, Colm Mccoy said:

Or does one have to be at the top end of the strength spectrum to have a hope?

Hope we cannot lose. It keeps our training alive and well. As “ordinary mortals” or "extraordinary beings” (as I prefer to think of us) we have the advantage that we can create hope. We have an infinite supply of hope by just looking around and/or using our imagination.  

If you're following F1, you're no longer "trying” but accomplishing little mile stones that will no doubt lead to more complex skills. Taking small steps insures you/we don’t fall down the way. Ever thought about the wisdom and advantages of a sustainable approach? That gives me more than hope. I’m confident that it is possible, even if it feels impossible now to lift my ass of the ground. How about being grateful for having found a reliable process and community? That’s half the battle right there. You’re could be further than you think.

The next question is do we have what it takes to achieve planches and levers?! Every achievement comes with a price tag and a capital S for sacrifice, in my experience. Think about the cost, the rewards and what you’re going to learn in the process. Is it worth it to you? And don’t forget that you are “special” like the rest of us<_<

I have been trucking along with Foundation ever since it came out.  It is hard to say were I am because for one element, I have completed it, but for others I am still in F1.  So I would say that I am mid-level.  I can however do a back lever fairly well on rings, and a straddle front lever on rings.  I can do a very short straddle planche on a good day.  However, I don't do any of them as part of my training program.  That is, I distinguish between the ability to merely execute those moves from the ability to readily use those moves as training.  

• Upvote 2