Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One Arm Planche/HS Calisthenics

Zi Yi Tan

Hey guys this is my first post here, and this video blew my mind. I thought I'd get input from gymnasts because Street Workout borrows a lot of elements from Gymnastics. I understand that Street workout practitioners don't always have the best form and muscle activation, but I think that this guy Andrea Larosa has extremely good form, even on his one arm planche, at 0.10 of the video. Check out 0.36 as well. Remember that I have an untrained eye. Anyways, just wanted to see what you guys thought!

Edited by Zi Yi Tan

Alessandro Mainente

Andrea is mine friends, I had the opportunity to judge him during some competitions and see him during shows. his form is good, he has an advantage from his physique that increases a lot the relative strength (he is tiny and he does not weight too much). btw with his Self taught approach he has some noises to the bicep tendon and he was forced to stay away from some elements. I think that he could be more strong with better approach.

• Upvote 1

He's completely self-taught? That's crazy. His progress is extremely fast as well. Out of curiosity, why don't gymnasts train for the one arm planche? 

Edited by Zi Yi Tan

Alessandro Mainente

First the oen arm palnche is more a side planche or one arm flag variation, by twisting on the side you can reduce the leverage making him easier.

Gymnast does not train for it because there are no one arm strength static position in code of points.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

First the oen arm palnche is more a side planche or one arm flag variation, by twisting on the side you can reduce the leverage making him easier.

Gymnast does not train for it because there are no one arm strength static position in code of points.

One arm planche is still a correct name for that unless the torso is facing more to the side than down and yes twisting reduces leverage, but it is also necessary regardless of amount of strength someone has because you have to get your center of mass over that one arm. It is still significantly harder than regular planche.

Toni Laukkavaara
22 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

What are you talking about? 

• Upvote 3

Mikael Kristiansen

Twisting is always necessary in any leverage 1 arm move. The twist is the same in 1 arm bl or fl as well. Without it you can not stay in balance.

I dont agree that it is a flag variation, and I can do both. Cant keep arm straight in the 1 arm planche though, and im not sure I ever will. The most similar thing to it is a 1 arm lower down to elbow lever. The strength and activation is completely different in a 1 arm planche compared to a flag and it is several orders of magnitude harder. It is a lot different from planche as well because the challenge is not the extreme angle of the arms, but it is way more complex in terms of balance and placement. It is insanely heavy on the entire shoulder, lats, traps and obliques on the side you twist into. It is very very heavy to hold. Looking at the guys who perform it as well, few of them have even acceptable flags from a handbalancing perspective, but their very strong planches do have carryover to it.

• Upvote 4

Mouclier Victor

Which muscles are working in a regular handstand flag/handstand flag presses ?

i heard tht this is mostly lat work, if so, are they worked more than they would be in a chin up ?

12237387_744024479035183_517219896_n.jpg

Edited by Bosco

Brian - I'm pretty sure it's more of a flag than a planche.

Mikail - how did you train for the one arm planche? :o

And check this guy out. How's his form?

Edited by Zi Yi Tan

His form is very good and he can even lock his arm.

Mikael probably trained it by lowering from OAHS to OAEL/crocodile or rotating down from flag. 

You can just lean into it and then lift your legs off the floor. Just keep trying to do that and eventually you can be strong enough and have the balance to hold it. That's how I got mines. You can also hold an airbaby and then try to get your leg off your arm.

Brian, the thing is, I'm still at the straddle planche haha. Speaking of which,

1. What are good lower back exercises? I am certain I am weak there. Despite being able to do a 5s good straddle planche, I can't do a full back lever or bent-arm planche, my lower back won't hold.

2. Planche lean tips? Another weakness for me.

Thanks in advance. 

Coach Sommer
13 hours ago, Zi Yi Tan said:

1. What are good lower back exercises? I am certain I am weak there. Despite being able to do a 5s good straddle planche, I can't do a full back lever or bent-arm planche, my lower back won't hold.

Thanks in advance. 

These are all covered in depth in the GB Foundation courses.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alexander Egebak
15 hours ago, Zi Yi Tan said:

Thanks in advance. 

Very strange if you can hold a straddle planche but not a BL. Perhaps post a form check. You might be bending in the lower back in your planche

On 3/14/2016 at 1:27 AM, Zi Yi Tan said:

Thanks in advance. 

As Coach said, you find all the tips in the Foundation series, but if you use weights then you can do exercises like deadlifts and good mornings. For calisthenic exercises that primarily target the lower back, they are reverse hyperextensions and reverse leg lifts which can be done in HeS/HS, stall bars, or hanging on rings. You can also do superman holds (arched body holds) and reverse crunches.

I don't have tips for planche leans other then to protract and depress the scapulae/shoulders and to keep training planche leans.

You don't really need a full planche for the one arm planche by the way and it doesn't take as much lower back strength as it does in a full planche since your body is heavily twisted/curved to the side. I don't think Mikael has a full planche even though he can one arm planche.

11 hours ago, nekodelecious said:

Hey guys what about this FP It may look weird on those clothes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWabdGKW8DU

Here's a picture with no t-shirt
wp_ss_20160315_0001.png.e7ab9b36141c2d24

Is that you? The planche in the photo looks decent. The hips are a bit high and the body is piked. For the video, I would not count the whole duration except for the last few seconds as legit since the form is quite off unlike the photo, but still impressive nonetheless.

You should have started your own topic in the digital coaching sub-forum instead of hijacking this thread when it talks about the one arm planche.

nekodelecious
8 minutes ago, Brian Li said:

Is that you? The planche in the photo looks decent. The hips are a bit high and the body is piked. For the video, I would not count the whole duration except for the last few seconds as legit since the form is quite off unlike the photo, but still impressive nonetheless.

You should have started your own topic in the digital coaching sub-forum instead of hijacking this thread when it talks about the one arm planche.

Yeah that's me ^_^ i'm just new here I didn't know where to post this ! and thanks I will try for more than 30seconds next time