Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Walking?

Seiji

Now, I suck at handstands. I can only hold them for about 5 seconds at a time before I fall over. However, I can walk around for quite a while/quite a distance. Is this still good training for a standing one?

Richard Duelley

Walking and standing are two completely different things. I would focus on standing and then once you get good at standing still you will be able to learn how to walk in a CONTROLED fashion much more easily. So, when you kick up into a handstand resist the urge to take a step in any direction and just fight with everything you have to keep the static balance. After a ton of practice you will start feeling that 'sweet' spot. After you first start to feel the sweet spot its just a matter of continual practice. Remember that the wall is your friend so spend some quality time with it.

Search around this forum for a ton of different wall handstand and free standing handstand drills.

Walking and standing are two completely different things. I would focus on standing and then once you get good at standing still you will be able to learn how to walk in a CONTROLED fashion much more easily. So, when you kick up into a handstand resist the urge to take a step in any direction and just fight with everything you have to keep the static balance. After a ton of practice you will start feeling that 'sweet' spot. After you first start to feel the sweet spot its just a matter of continual practice. Remember that the wall is your friend so spend some quality time with it.

Search around this forum for a ton of different wall handstand and free standing handstand drills.

Well, I do practice standing ones. I have felt that spot before, feels just like standing normally :D

Would you recommend stepping if you're about to fall over (that your wrists can't prevent) and get back into standing, or just fall over and kick back up into it?

Joshua Naterman

I would think that if you are able to control yourself with a single step, it's a good idea to do that, but if it puts you into a constant walk then it's better to come down and just kick back up.

I've been working that for two months now pretty regularly and I am definitely still more likely to come down if I feel like I have to step at any point. Kicking back up again makes my body re-balance and I think that all the kicking up and holding has really contributed to my being able to walk carefully now for about 15 feet.

Both are necessary.

Hand walking is necessary to learning how to pirouettes in handstand aka shifting and turning your body directionally in a handstand.

When I was first learning gymnastics aka exploring gymnastics on my own, I didn't really learn how to walk in a handstand or even do a headstand and my learning suffered because of it. It wasn't until recent years did I really start walking in a handstand and only within the last year or two that I gained the ability to do a full handstand pirouette. It ain't pretty, but it works.

Richard Duelley

A great way to learn how to walk in a controlled fashion is called the 'start and stop method.' Basically you do just that start and stop your walk at will. You simply kick up hold a 5 second balance (this is my standard hold time before I attempt anything on my hands), take ONE step, so one hand forward and the other steps right next to it, hold that for 5 sec and then take another step. Once you have that under control take 2 steps. Slowly increase you number of steps as you get better and eventually you will be able to walk around and stop at will! 8)

And remember to have fun with it.

Do not consider walking until you can hold a perfect form (NO ARCH, OPEN SHOULDERS) handstand for 30-60s freebalancing.

The only "walking" you should be doing while learning a freestanding handstand are cast wall walks and wall runs.

Brain, is it alright to take a step if you know you're going to fall over and your wrists can't stop it? Or is is just better to fall and kick back up?

Brain, is it alright to take a step if you know you're going to fall over and your wrists can't stop it? Or is is just better to fall and kick back up?

Forward roll out.

If you're actually learning gymnastics, especially basics like swing to handstand on pbars, I would NOT pirouette it because it may get you into bad habits. Otherwise, this may be an option as well.

Don't take steps for now. Bad habits.

LOL

I did a HS pirouette last saturday trying to prevent myself from falling over. (on the ground of course)

I'm not learning gymnastics at a gym, I'm teaching myself through you guys' experiences and methods :D

I'm not going to compete, but I am mostly doing it for the added strength and abilities. Pretty much for the fun of it or because it's cool. Although, I do take it seriously. I'm not doing it just to show off. The practice can cross over to my martial arts. Plus, everyone thinks flips and twists look cool.

• 4 months later...

if anyone cares, i made a tutorial for the handwalking a while ago:

z8Qc1Snnsf0

this method brought me very fast results. prior to this, i was only balancing on my hands