Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thorasic Bridge Stretch Series

Kevin Easton

A buddy of mine has this series and I was looking at purchasing it.

From what I have seen (compared to Side Split and Middle Split) is that there is a bit more equipment required.

(1) Exercise bands

- I don't have any, but I can easily purchase some exercise bands.

- I have seen some people recommend bungee cord instead of exercise bands.  I searched www.amazon.CA and it looks like I would need to purchase 50' of it and cut to size.  Which thickness do you recommend?  What do you recommend for handles?

(2) Exercise ball

- Have one, not an issue

(3) Stall Bars

- I don't have any and will likely build a set this summer.  The problem is.... I'm Canadian.  Sourcing wood dowels in Canada is tough and expensive.  Stall Bars are going to cost me +$300 just for dowels, so this is on a side burner for now.

- I am not sure what options I have around the house to substitute instead of stall bars.  Particularly for the Bridge Walks.  My mobility for this is horrible and I have seen some people recommend using a wall.  Trust me, I need something I can hold on to until my mobility improves.  If I do this on a wall I am going to crash HARD.  Stall bars look like they add a bit more control which I need.

Can someone help me with some equipment suggestions?

I don't want to buy a program that I am not prepared to do due to lack of equipment or substitutes. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

For the prone and supine band pulls, I use the base of the radiator in my living room. It's one of those classic upright, thigh level radiators. This is a less than optimal choice, especially in the winter-time, but my toes get a nice warm up in those moments. As for the bands, I bought a pack of exercise bungees and they have served me well (I'm still unsure of the distinct difference between exercise bands and bungees as I feel like it is a colloquial difference in word choice -- you can look up exercise bands and exercise bungee cords on Amazon and get results for the same product). 

When I first did bridge wall walks, I also fell. Stall bars are a serious investment. I would simply place a bunch of pillows below where you'll be walking for the time. Also, unless you're quite flexible in your thoracic spine you won't/shouldn't immediately be going all the way to the floor (the stretch is meant to be an upper back stretch and strengthener, and while it might be felt somewhat in the lower back that isn't the focus -- which for a long time was my mistake). You'll want to focus on opening your back in the same way as in the elevated cat stretch and in so doing your ROM becomes significantly more limited in how far down the wall you will initially walk. 

Don't let a lack of equipment prevent you from buying a series. There's nothing like doing mobilities on makeshift stall bar setups in the gym to really get fellow gymgoers upset and want to correct you on what you're doing. Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Travis Widmann

1) Coach prefers bungee. More than a colloquial difference, at least in the States. Dunno about the specs. I use resistance bands I already had from years ago and they do the job. I loop one into another to get enough length.

3) I know exactly what you mean. Wall walks are the one thing I can't find a good sub for without stall bars. On a smooth wall my hands are prone to slip as soon as I put any weight on them. To be honest, I skip these and a couple preceding elements because they're too strenuous for my shoulders at my current level. I will say when you begin to train this course in earnest to be careful as you introduce yourself to the specific bridge work at the end. Stretching is not strength training; we do not attack it with the same intensity, otherwise it's injury for sure.

• Upvote 1

I have tied a small ladder to the pegola outside. I use it for pike stretch from what your describibg I think it would work for your needs.

• 1 month later...
Everett Smith

When checking pricing on wood dowels be sure to go to the commercial counter! I bought all mine at Home Hardware (canada), floor price was $3/ft..back at the commercial counter they knocked that down to $1/ft..huge savings!!

• Upvote 1

Kevin Easton

Nice.  

What type of wood did you get?

thickness?

I am 210lbs so I am a bit worried about dowel size.