Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tumbling 1 Time Commitment

Cameron Williams

Cameron Williams

What is the time commitment for Tumbling 1?

I am currently doing F1 3 days a week, all 3 stretch courses, and H1 once per week - just want to see how it's going to fit into my weekly schedule before I buy it.

Thanks,

Cam

• Upvote 1

Mark Schoenhard

A moderator on this forum has stated that he has been surprised by the fast adaptation and progression by performing Tumbling 1 one time a week.  I agree.  A tumbling session takes me no more than 35 minutes on high volume weeks.  I add a Thoracic Bridge Stretch Course after for a satisfying training day.

• Upvote 1

Mark Schoenhard

Dream come true.  I didn't have the opportunity to learn gymnastics and tumbling growing up, now approaching 50 I have access to proper development of movement for enjoyment and health.  The diagnostics are great to add to Foundation and Handstand warm-ups and discover imbalances, weaknesses and strengths.  The tumbling progressions are attainable, challenging and I get to explore a place I've only dreamed.  I coach kids in all sorts of athletics and it is fun to show off a few skills and communicate on a different level.  Recommend.

• Upvote 5

Keilani Gutierrez

agreed. its a lot of fun and the first elements are kicking my cores ass :)

it's a lot of fun!

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

i use some mats at the gym, but the first few elements like Coach has mentioned before, you can do just fine on grass. the first element, i've done laying my yoga mat down.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin Nutt

Here's a Movement 1 question - when do y'all program this in relation to other training? I'm currently working through the Foundation and Handstand series, and I'm wondering if I should program M1:

A. Before Strength work

B. After Strength work

C. In a different day/session entirely 

Any wisdom?

I use two gymnastic mats stuck together. So when I do more than two forward rolls I turn around. Not sure if this will work when I get to the late elements.

• Upvote 2

Keilani Gutierrez
2 hours ago, Mark Collins said:

I use two gymnastic mats stuck together. So when I do more than two forward rolls I turn around. Not sure if this will work when I get to the late elements.

same. 

Good to know, thanks. I have a really hard rubber floor that feels like tile really, so I would have to invest in some panels mats or 2x2 rubber tiles or something. Maybe find a place to do it during the weekend. Trying to figure out the square feet requirement. When you say 2 gymnastic mats, is that 4' x 8' or 4' x 6'? Stuck together in a rectangular shape. Is better than a square? I would need to know so velcro is in the right spot.

I am 6"2 and the mat is a similar length to me. It is about 4' wide. I stick them length ways to make a rectangle.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I'm waiting for the winter thaw to come so I can do these on the grass. Or I may suffice with the rocky dirt and treat it like deep tissue tumbling--might be a bad idea on second thought.

• Upvote 1

Kevin Herring

Eva,

I would not recommend a hard floor in the beginning.  Concrete is unforgiving for errors in my experience. :facepalm: It was a small error but was certainly enough to indicate what a bigger mistake could mean.

At a minimum go to a big box home improvement and get a 4x8 sheet of foam board sheet insulation. Typically half an inch to three quarters thick. Less than twenty dollars (closer to ten) at least until you get a proper mat.  As I get better I try different surfaces.  Proceed with caution.  ;)

13 hours ago, Kevin Herring said:

Proceed with caution.  ;)

Yup. My biggest concern is the risk of injury. Fear. I'm a bit "worried" about my stiff neck, lower back and knee issues. Ever felt like two different people at once. My rational self is assessing the risks/rewards while my visceral self says "you've always wanted to do this! What the f* are you waiting for??" The later tends to win in the end, but not without a good fight. 

Like @Mark Schoenhard, I've never done tumbling as a kid. Such a wonderful developmental skill! I did a bit of rolling in martial arts, but not much. Seems like learning tumbling from scratch is obviously best-suited to working with an in-person coach/teacher. I'm very curious to hear about your solo experiences with this online course – especially from those of you who started at 40+.

Keilani Gutierrez

you're not supposed to move onto the rolls until you master the 2.x progressions. there's plenty of time to mobilize the tight bits in the interim :)

don't get too far ahead of yourselves! :D

Who's jumping ahead. I don't even have the program! Only contemplating if I could do it. I wouldn't start until i get more settled with F1, H1-H2, Tb. 

This is my shortest workout of the week at about 45 mins all up incl warmup but rapidly becoming my favourite one. After a week of focusing on relatively isolated movement, it feels like whole body therapy to move co-ordinated and generate some power :)

• Upvote 5

On 2/24/2016 at 3:13 PM, Jon Douglas said:

After a week of focusing on relatively isolated movement, it feels like whole body therapy to move co-ordinated and generate some power :)

Always on point @Jon Douglas Can't beat the combination of strength and flow. I love your post btw, especially the ranting ones!

8 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

Always on point @Jon Douglas Can't beat the combination of strength and flow. I love your post btw, especially the ranting ones!

Heh, i try. I often find i open my mouth and there's a bit more in there than i expect ^_^ glad i can help

• Upvote 1