Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scapula position in pushup?

Taekeun Kim

Hello,

Working on the basic push ups, I ran into one thing that kinda confuses me.

When one does the push ups, should the scaps stay protracted all the time?

Or do they get retracted at the very bottom?

Some say we have to strive to keep them protracted during the motion although it cannot be fully protracted at the bottom, while some others say we can't help scaps getting retracted at the bottom.

Which idea do I have to follow?

Could you please give me a piece of advice about it?

(I actually have read comments  in sticky 'Scapula position for basic and static exercises' and tried to understand what they said, but..... I guess I'm not yet smart enough to learn those complicated issues regarding serratus A. and other things)

Usually in a basic position your scapulae are protracted at the top and retracted at the bottom. However, you can try to keep them protracted the whole time if you want, although this might not do much in terms of strength; you can do scapulae push ups instead. For planche push ups, I have no idea if the scapulae have to stay protracted the whole time. If so, then I guess you can to the same with your regular push ups. Anyone else can explain if they want.

Ivan Pavlovic

It should be protracted and depressed at top and natural and depressed at bottom so chest can touch floor.

• Upvote 2

Alessandro Mainente

You should aim for protraction and depression all the time.

the ability to hold the protraction at the bottom requires time time and time. so be patience.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Toni Laukkavaara

You should aim for protraction and depression all the time.

the ability to hold the protraction at the bottom requires time time and time. so be patience.

This. I mean why shouldn't you TRY to stay at the correct bodyshape? i mean you are working towards hollow back press anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you.

I have been on trip, so I just read all the comments.

As you advised, I will try to keep my body protracted and depressed all the time.

• 1 year later...
Joseph Sargent

Can someone explain the benefits that may accrue from holding full protraction through the bottom of the pushup and how exactly the stimulus through the shoulders/scapulae and chest changes as apposed to being neutral or slightly retracted at the bottom. I feel like I want to allow (some, if not most of the time) the natural tendency for the natural slight retraction (at least to neutral) that happens toward the bottom, but I'm trying to figure out, since I can hold complete protraction throughout the movement, how much I want to perform pushing movements in this way. 

Alessandro Mainente

The protraction it is by far much more important at the top said that people usually confuse the protraction with the shoulder tilted forward which has nothing to do with protraction. protract means spread widely the scapulae and nothing more.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
Jason Berger
On 1/20/2018 at 11:42 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

The protraction it is by far much more important at the top said that people usually confuse the protraction with the shoulder tilted forward which has nothing to do with protraction. protract means spread widely the scapulae and nothing more.

I had no idea protraction was spread and not forward. Great tip.