Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder Flexibility for Straight Handstand

Ryan Sadilek

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member to GB.  I've been training for the handstand for a little while now.  I started with lots of push-ups and pike push-ups to build up my shoulder strength.  Then I built up to a 45-second frogstand to strengthen my wrists/forearms, and also got a 1-minute headstand to get used to feeling inverted and staying "tight" in the core and lower body.

Now I've started practicing handstands against the wall (both facing towards and away from the wall).  My issue is that I've realized my shoulder flexibility is lacking.  For example, if I stand with my back flat against the wall, knees slightly bent, and extend my arms up overhead, I end up arching my lower back in order to (barely) touch the backs of my hands to the wall.  I think this means I'll end up having an arched or "banana" handstand.  This is fine with me for now, I guess, but a straight handstand is my goal.

I was wondering if you all can recommend some stretching exercises for me to help open my shoulders/scapula and gain this flexibility.  What stretches or drills have helped you the most with this in achieving the straight handstand?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

You need to address chest, rotator cuff and lats release while building upper back active strength.. you have 2 solutions, stand alone stretching development with google search and loss of time or you can follow the stretch series and handstand 1 program that were designed perfectly for this type of deficits.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1