Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Condensing Exercises Together

David Birchall

David Birchall

I've been thinking when I'm finally done with the Foundation series, it would be cool to try and create new exercises that combine certain elements you'd like to maintain so that you can get it done more efficiently.  Examples of what I mean already exist with the idea of integrated training such as a Stalder Press.

A Stalder Press works both a Straddle Lever and a Handstand... Better yet a Straddle L to Straddle Planche Press to Handstand would work three elements at once: even more efficient.

There are also a few that I remember from BtGB I think that came under combined pull and press and/or multi plane... or embedded?  Not sure.

"Tick Tocks"

On still rings, rotate your body 360 degrees passing through a front lever and a back lever... everyone knows this one.

"Bowers"

Isn't a "Bower" a Planche Push Up followed by a Hollow Body Press?  I Can't remember but that exercise I think from BtGB definitely falls into this category.

"Gallimores"

I think this was a Front Lever Muscle Up to Planche?

"Strength Giant"

I remember reading somewhere that coach said this was an iron cross to maltese to inverted cross to victorian.  Is this correct?

and here's four I thought of that might be cool:

"180 Degree Push Up"

Some people call HBP a 90 degree push up.  What about if you were to:

Start in a Bent Arm Planche.  Whilst straightening your arms, press into a Handstand.  Now flex your shoulders and lower yourself down to the ground and stand up from a bridge.  Reverse the motion to complete one rep.

and repeat.  Essentially combining Front and Back Limbers With Hollowback press.

"Japana Dislocates"

Sit in straddle holding a barbell in front of you.  Raise the barbell up and perform a dislocate while simultaneously moving from straddle sit to straddle fold (pancake), rotating your legs once chest hits the floor so you finish in a prone position on the floor with the barbell behind your back.  Reverse the motion and repeat.

HLL > WsW > Skin The Cat > BL

I dont really have a name for this but I do these on a bar currently as I'm passed WsW and HLL so this ties the two elements together nicely for me as a warm up or prehab.

"Bridge Wall Walk Over"

I sometimes will play around in a bridge doing rotations and push ups, leg raises and the like.  recently I've started doing this: perform a bridge wall walk down and then back up and then down again.  Then rotate 180 degrees in the bridge keeping hips up so you end up with your feet touching the wall.  Then walk your feet up the wall as assistance while you attempt to press out of the bridge and into a handstand.  Reverse the motion  and repeat.  This I think is like and assisted back limber and then an assisted front limber on the reverse on way back.  

Turning my body around in the bridge was hard in the beginning but it's really improved my bridge since doing it.

Can't Think of a name for this either:

I can't do these but I think they would be cool: perform an under grip korean dip and when you reach the bottom of the dip, somehow straighten your arms and go into a back lever.  Pull with bent arms and bring yourself back up to the start of the Korean dip.... Is this actually possible?

------------

So anyway there's some combos I've been thinking would be cool to see/do.  Can anyone do the movements I've described?  And do some already have names?  I've named them just for fun.  The first four are ones that I know are used - I think I remember them from BtGB but I'm not 100% sure where I read it... May have been on the forum somewhere.

Can you think of any more?  The strength giant sounds like the hardest move to do of all time to me lol.  Especially since I've not even started Rings One yet.  

"Can't Think of a name for this either:

I can't do these but I think they would be cool: perform an under grip korean dip and when you reach the bottom of the dip, somehow straighten your arms and go into a back lever.  Pull with bent arms and bring yourself back up to the start of the Korean dip.... Is this actually possible?"

Pretty sure this is in BtGB. Look it up. Mine is in the garage somewhere in a box.

Joshua Slocum

"Can't Think of a name for this either:

I can't do these but I think they would be cool: perform an under grip korean dip and when you reach the bottom of the dip, somehow straighten your arms and go into a back lever.  Pull with bent arms and bring yourself back up to the start of the Korean dip.... Is this actually possible?"

Pretty sure this is in BtGB. Look it up. Mine is in the garage somewhere in a box.

Ians, I believe. IIRC it's slightly easier than a reverse muscle up, which is to say: extremely difficult. 

• Upvote 4

Ians, I believe. IIRC it's slightly easier than a reverse muscle up, which is to say: extremely difficult. 

It is actually harder when done unassisted. I remember Coach Sommer said it too.