Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Better at straight arm straddle planche than bent arm?

Charlie Martin

Charlie Martin

Hi there,

So I'm better at straight arm straddle planche (4-5 secs) than bent arm straddle (can barely hold it).

I know this doesn't really make sense, but I think it could be due to my neglect of training pulling exercises (my back muscles) for years.

Is this most likely the case? And is it the traps specifically?

If so, I've only started training my back at the weights gym over the past month and a half. I've been doing your standard pulling exercises like seated cable row, lat pulldown, rear delt flies etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Charlie Martin

That's weird. Can you lower yourself in a controllable way from straddle plance ?

Not really. I can do a quick planche pushup, but I fatigue a great deal in the process and so as soon as I re-lock the elbows at the top of the planche I pretty much collapse.

For bent arm, do you mean slightly bent or full bent, like the bottom position of a planche pushups?

Bottom position of a planche pushup!

Alessandro Mainente

Because as Coach Sommer replied 10 thousands times...SA and BA are 2 different fields.

There is one important physiological fact: training at one specific angle does not give you decent carryover on other angles.

For this reason if on isometric planche hold with SA you are working on shoulders, traps, delt and chest on constant angle you will never reach a decent carryover on BA planche where angles and leverage on muscles are completely different.

• Upvote 5

Charlie Martin

Because as Coach Sommer replied 10 thousands times...SA and BA are 2 different fields.

There is one important physiological fact: training at one specific angle does not give you decent carryover on other angles.

For this reason if on isometric planche hold with SA you are working on shoulders, traps, delt and chest on constant angle you will never reach a decent carryover on BA planche where angles and leverage on muscles are completely different.

OK thanks for the reply. That clears things up.