Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Amazing Ring Strength!

Coach Sommer

I always play with the idea of a back lever bounce to invert cross. I think this skill is definitely possible! If you think about it, you just have to be able to do a back lever bounce the planche, but before you get to the planche position, roll your shoulders forwards and push the rings out!?

I am definitely gonna try this when I get the lack lever bounce planche! If I ever get it............. :cry:

I always play with the idea of a back lever bounce to invert cross. I think this skill is definitely possible! If you think about it, you just have to be able to do a back lever bounce the planche, but before you get to the planche position, roll your shoulders forwards and push the rings out!?

I am definitely gonna try this when I get the lack lever bounce planche! If I ever get it............. :cry:

it's possible, even in slow press without bounce.

If you dont want deduction you should go trough maltese instead of planche...

it's possible, even in slow press without bounce.

If you dont want deduction you should go trough maltese instead of planche...

Good Call Gregor! I give you permission to train it and compete it at the next international competition! Just name it the Wang if they put it in the code of points though!! hehehe :lol:

hehe :mrgreen:

I think it's more about if it's worth it to do such hard skills (like victorian) due to deduction they will get on execution....And another thing it would be probably be just an F and not G and to do it just for 0,1 and risk an overall good execution just for that...

hehe :mrgreen:

I think it's more about if it's worth it to do such hard skills (like victorian) due to deduction they will get on execution....And another thing it would be probably be just an F and not G and to do it just for 0,1 and risk an overall good execution just for that...

Yeah, I definitely don't think it would be worth a G. I do agree with you on the deductions thing! I am wondering if that's why we don't see a pull to maltese or cross from hang that much. They should give the pull from hang skills an extra .1 and make it one level higher! I think that a pull from hang into a maltese is just as hard as an azarian maltese........ But I can't do either hehe :oops:

• 1 year later...
DennisGoossens
From what I hear, when he first messed up his leg, his coach, li xiao dong, would have him do a lot of ring strength with his arms in the straps. Also a lot of board malteses to strengthen his back and shoulders. On top of all that, he would have to do the usual spotted rings strength holds. I don't think it was the training that necessarily made him very strong. If you just look at his build, you could tell that he was going to be a rings guy!

Anyhow, fast forward a few years, and this guy just got immensely strong! He was doing his strength sequence with a weight vest, weight belt, and ankle weights strapped on! I am not sure about how much weight that totals, but I would say it's at least 10kg. The one thing I always hear about Yan Mingyong is that he could do a back lever press to maltese when he was 18 years old!! I have also heard that when he was younger, the coaches didn't want him to train because he was blocky looking and had rigid movements.

In China, I don't think it's uncommon for gymnasts to train ring strength everyday. I see all the kids in the gym doing it and I have heard that the rings guys on national team have to do 2 sets of 10 cross pull-outs without their arms in straps or anything everyday. Maybe they don't go down all the way? Either way, that's nuts to me!! I hear all this from the guys that were on National team at the Shanghai gym.

What do you mean by straps?

Maltese on a springbord?

And whats a cross pull-out?

(sorry bad english)

What do you mean by straps?

You can either grab the rings through the straps (if you have Coache's XR rings for example) to have the straps go around your forearms in order to take away some leverage.

This is shown in this video: http://gymnasticswod.com/content/iron-cross-progression-pt4

Or use a pair of little straps as is shown in this video at around 1:30

esGLMgbR4Ig

Maltese on a springbord?

Made a quick sketch. I think this is what was meant.

DLf1K.png

Probably means getting into a Maltese position on the floor and putting your feet on the springboard.

And whats a cross pull-out?

Can bee seen here at around 3:00

O-CnkkUZg-M

I think the springboard maltese is like doing the maltese on blocks, but with springboards. So basically doing a maltese between two springboards, acting as if each one was a ring.

I think the springboard maltese is like doing the maltese on blocks, but with springboards. So basically doing a maltese between two springboards, acting as if each one was a ring.
You mean like this?

ZjJQQ.jpg

(pic taken from: http://www.american-gymnast.com/shop/Learning-a-Maltese-on-Rings-W16.aspx)

My sketch is more like a planche lean with very wide hands. I have seen both used.

Either way, both are excellent exercises.

• Upvote 1

Yeah! Not sure though, that's just what I thought when I heard board maltese. Both seem like good exercises indeed :D

Yeah! Not sure though, that's just what I thought when I heard board maltese. Both seem like good exercises indeed :D

It is. You can even do it on p.bars...

DennisGoossens

Ok thank you guys! :)

But i'm not sure about whats ment with the springboards.

The other 2 things I'm allready doing. :)

Ok thank you guys! :)

But i'm not sure about whats ment with the springboards.

The other 2 things I'm allready doing. :)

It's the same as on the blocks (sometimes you don't have blocks in your gym and you have to improvise and it's alot faster to throw 2 springbords rather then bring 2 blocks together :mrgreen: ).

DennisGoossens

We don't have any of those blocks in our gym, you should see our gym, we don't even have a floor but we don't care and do our thing.

I can do maltese on the ground, but i think its a good idee to do it on springboards, so the maltese can get lower :) but how the hell can you push up to planche then?

We don't have any of those blocks in our gym, you should see our gym, we don't even have a floor but we don't care and do our thing.

I can do maltese on the ground, but i think its a good idee to do it on springboards, so the maltese can get lower :) but how the hell can you push up to planche then?

1. You don't need floor for rings exercise :mrgreen:

2. You can do it on floor with help of course (spotting).

I myself don't like doing malteses on spring board, weird feeling. I like spotted malteses on rings and slowely decrease to back lever (spotter frees you of a spot and you are lowering as slow as you can).

DennisGoossens
Wonder what made this guy improve so much in one year, check this video from 08

4GXCrV4-9tA

If you are searching for big progress, watch eleftherios petrounias, 08 he could barley hold maltese, 2011 he made bronze at eurpeans :)

DennisGoossens

1. You don't need floor for rings exercise :mrgreen:

2. You can do it on floor with help of course (spotting).

I myself don't like doing malteses on spring board, weird feeling. I like spotted malteses on rings and slowely decrease to back lever (spotter frees you of a spot and you are lowering as slow as you can).

Yeah that's a good idee 2! :) i would start in planche, lower to maltese hold maltese, slowly lower to backlever?

+ I do all six events so floor too :P

4GXCrV4-9tA

If you are searching for big progress, watch eleftherios petrounias, 08 he could barley hold maltese, 2011 he made bronze at eurpeans :)

I highly doubt he could barely hold a cross maybe he was not prepaired for competitions. But last year was already evident he could rise quite quickly just few minor "bug fixes".

You could start from planche, depence on your phisical state and how close is your planche.

this are just small glimps of training, it will be needed alo to make a suit for you.

DennisGoossens

4GXCrV4-9tA

I highly doubt he could barely hold a cross maybe he was not prepaired for competitions. But last year was already evident he could rise quite quickly just few minor "bug fixes".

You could start from planche, depence on your phisical state and how close is your planche.

this are just small glimps of training, it will be needed alo to make a suit for you.

I know eleftherios, and at euros 2008 he was only 4months back in gymnastics :)

But hey still a great improvement if you ask me :)

Yeah I can do planche, hardest skill at the moment for me in rings is maltese puch to plance, and cross pull to maltese :)

+ Yeah i'm getting information everywere and i'm going to try to make a shedule something that suits me :)

• 5 years later...
Swann BUTEL
On 13/06/2011 at 5:23 PM, gymgreg said:

You mean like this?

ZjJQQ.jpg

(pic taken from: http://www.american-gymnast.com/shop/Learning-a-Maltese-on-Rings-W16.aspx)

My sketch is more like a planche lean with very wide hands. I have seen both used.

Either way, both are excellent exercises.

Hi every one , 

I subscribe on the amercian gymnast web site but i have not found this document, i have very curious by the maltese progression, somebody have an idea where i can find this document ? 

Thx for all