Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Amazing Ring Strength!

Coach Sommer

Chinese%20Gymnast%20Yan%20Minyong%20qualifies%201st%20on%20Still%20Rings%20at%20the%202009%20Worlds.jpg

Chinese gymnast Yan Mingyong has qualified in 1st place by a substantial margin to the Still Rings Finals at the 2009 World Championships.

Interestingly several weeks ago, Minyong also defeated the reigning

to win the 2009 Chinese National Games on still rings. Below is a video of him in action at that event as there are no video clips yet available of him at the 2009 Worlds.

ftLI0pgrfQc

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

This guy beat Chen Yibing this year at the PRC games!! Actually Yibing got 3rd. This guy used to train at the same gym as I do in now in Shanghai. I had the chance to meet him back during this years chinese new years. He is an absolute beast! He is only about 5'2" tall and the same width!!

He's got a cool story too! When he was younger, about 13, he was at a meet and was on vault. He broke his shin somehow during the entry and they flew him back to Shanghai. It was that year that he started training ring strength every single day since he had nothing else he could do! He was able to do a maltese by the end of the year! In China, people usually become reserve athletes on national team by age 14, but he didn't enter national team until he was 20 years old! All the coaches are saying that if he plays his cards right, he will be on China's olympic team going to London. He also has a solid p-bars, high bar, and pommels routine!!

Wangtang6911 what a great story! Could you give us some specifics on his ring strength training? I myself would never dream of having my athletes perform ring strength everyday and am curious how he structured his approach.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

From what I hear, when he first messed up his leg, his coach, li xiao dong, would have him do a lot of ring strength with his arms in the straps. Also a lot of board malteses to strengthen his back and shoulders. On top of all that, he would have to do the usual spotted rings strength holds. I don't think it was the training that necessarily made him very strong. If you just look at his build, you could tell that he was going to be a rings guy!

Anyhow, fast forward a few years, and this guy just got immensely strong! He was doing his strength sequence with a weight vest, weight belt, and ankle weights strapped on! I am not sure about how much weight that totals, but I would say it's at least 10kg. The one thing I always hear about Yan Mingyong is that he could do a back lever press to maltese when he was 18 years old!! I have also heard that when he was younger, the coaches didn't want him to train because he was blocky looking and had rigid movements.

In China, I don't think it's uncommon for gymnasts to train ring strength everyday. I see all the kids in the gym doing it and I have heard that the rings guys on national team have to do 2 sets of 10 cross pull-outs without their arms in straps or anything everyday. Maybe they don't go down all the way? Either way, that's nuts to me!! I hear all this from the guys that were on National team at the Shanghai gym.

Joshua Naterman

I would imagine that a surplus of sleep and a lot of the right food and supplementation would make that pretty reasonable, as long as it's built up to somewhat gradually. Maybe even from the start. I had a friend who was an iron worker for two years and for the first 6 months straight he was tired and sore, but at the end of the two years he had gone from 5'6 140 to 5'6 200 lbs. He was seriously one of the strongest guys I have ever known. I've seen him loosen valves with his hands that I needed a 24 inch wrench to safely start. The body can adapt to almost anything, though there are probably hereditary factors at work as well.

This guy really is born for the rings though, so compact and wide!

Ryan Hutchins

wow... i'm off to start training rings everyday :shock:

yeah right. but man did anyone see his biceps? they were almost bigger than his shoulders! (going back to watch vid again)

Now that is inspiring! i'm kickin my rings training into a higher gear now.

John Sapinoso

when he polishes that routine and TURNS OUT HIS HANDSTAND i don't think there's another routine that comes close

Richard Duelley

I watched everything I could find of him and the routine posted above is one of the coolest ring routines I have ever seen. The way he presses through his maltese is truley spectacular (he does it as easily as I do dips! :shock: ) Also, that cross picture is the best one I have ever seen, I searched for like 20 minutes yesterday until I found a nice high res version of it. (I have a folder of cool ring pictures that I am collecting :mrgreen: )

I think you can watch live online today at 1:30pm eastern time. (darn I get out of class at 1:45! I might have to borrow a laptop :wink: )

that cross picture is the best one I have ever seen, I searched for like 20 minutes yesterday until I found a nice high res version of it. (I have a folder of cool ring pictures that I am collecting :mrgreen: )

Can you link me that high res picture please? I love it too :-)

Joshua Naterman

I can't believe he's been in the upper echelon of rings competition for so long! That's some serious longevity.

I can't believe he's been in the upper echelon of rings competition for so long! That's some serious longevity.

Yes, Jordan is certainly a beast. I believe that Beijing might have been his fifth Olympics!

The interesting thing about Jordan is that in addition to being extremely strong, he is also quite flexible and supple. During his workouts he always devotes a significant portion of his time to warming up thoroughly and attending to his active flexibility and joint prehab needs. As a result he has nearly perfect flexibility and has had almost no serious injuries over the course of a very long and successful career.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

He was amazing!!!!

Razz he actualy didn't improve so much, if you look previous routine it has all neccesary strength and old routine is for ex code of points...

Yeah i see what you mean Gregor, I just thought the two new moves azarian planche and back lever (2s) maltese were quite an improvement and he looks alot more clean aswell. But then again I have no real idea of how much a pro at that level is "supposed" to improve each year :)

Don't forget he is just 24 years of age, same as Rodriguez and Vorobiov :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wonder what moves he will come up with in the next 6 years or so :shock: maybe we'll have an inverted hang straight arm press to inverted cross :lol: