Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

pull ups from a sit

Elise Nguyen

I really hope for help here. Short introduction, I am a former USAG WAG gymnast (almost L10) and now coach a bunch of kids (pretty competitive).

I would never come to an online forum for coaching questions, but as this is only strength related, I decided to ask.

At our gym, we have a big construction going on soon, which will make us not able to use ANY of the bars in the whole gym for at least 4 weeks, likely more.

We do have access to beams, a good floor as well as a vault. Bars we will only go to another gym once a week with the optional girls.

We will do a lot of drills, so I am not too afraid as they are not working any higher level skills (highest is L8), but afraid of their strength as we did a ton of bar conditioning!

We will train at a track place, where they unfortunately don't have any stall bars. But what they do have are probably 40 pairs of those lebert equalizer/high paralletes things, which was a trend a few years ago. After a little thinking I thought we could maybe use this for our girls?

I think it is only about hip height, but might still work? Is it possible to sit in a Pike, grab the bar and then do a Pull-Over, Pull-Up or Leg Lift from a Pike Sit?

Also, they could do Single Bar Dips, normal Dips, Elevated Push-Ups and Handstand Push-Ups, Press Handstand, Planche Holds as well as Pistol Squat, Tuck Jumps over it and use it as stretching for oversplits. 

I am fine with all of it just a little scared about the pull-Ups and Leg Lifts.

Do you have any experience/thought on Pull-Ups from a Sit? Of course it is high enough for them to reach the bar with straight arms.

My son once did a pullover on the equalizers, make sure you weight it down with weight plates or hold it down (two people could hold the sides down). Also, you might want to put it on an elevated surface for taller people to be able to use.

Are there any Parallel Bars? I used to have the girls use the PB a lot because you can hang 5 girls per rail and spot 2 at a time.

You could possibly use the Beams and do them in a L hang. They will have to cup the bars with their hands. Or you could stack a block or mats underneath and have them do horizontal body rows.

Are there any Rings?

Men's bar? I use to hang 2 ropes off the Men's HB and have them do pullups or rope climbs in L/straddle.

Don't you have a Tri or Quad bar setup? Lower single rails?

Other options:

Two big parallel blocks, lay a thick closet dowel over these. They are cheap at a hardware store.

Get some rope and tie some weights or objects. Sit in a straddle or pike and have them pull it towards themselves across the bar. Heck if you had some rope and a frisbee/snow sled, you could probably have the kids use each other.