Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How many people can do a OAHS?

MrAl

How many people in the world (approx) can do a one arm press handstand from straddle L?

How many normal stalder presses should you be able to do?

How many seconds of a straddle and straight OAHS are required to start learning one arm presses?

How many seconds or regular free standing handstand are required to start learning OAHS?

Edited by MrAl

Ivan Pavlovic

I doubt that anyone will answer your questions becouse it is difficult to tell. Consider that with really strong shoulders and good legs flexibility you will also need strong obliques for oa press to hs.

David McManamon

Actually with the social media phenomenon of the last 5 years you can see a high percentage of the people who can do it on social media with the exception of China.  The vast majority of the people who can do it are teaching or performing so they need a little publicity for themselves.

There is a FB group called "How many in the world can one arm handstand" with 114 members.  

I would guess there are less than 500 people in the world who can hold a 1 arm handstand and considering that a one arm press is much more difficult, there are fewer than 50 people in the world who can do a clean 1 arm press from straddle L.

Of course given these low numbers, in order to succeed you will very likely need to find the right coach to answer your questions, the vast majority of the people who have succeeded all went to the same schools and learned from the same people.

More important than a 30 second or 1 minute free standing handstand to begin learning OAHS you need correct form. 

Actually with the social media phenomenon of the last 5 years you can see a high percentage of the people who can do it on social media with the exception of China.  The vast majority of the people who can do it are teaching or performing so they need a little publicity for themselves.

There is a FB group called "How many in the world can one arm handstand" with 114 members.  

I would guess there are less than 500 people in the world who can hold a 1 arm handstand and considering that a one arm press is much more difficult, there are fewer than 50 people in the world who can do a clean 1 arm press from straddle L.

Of course given these low numbers, in order to succeed you will very likely need to find the right coach to answer your questions, the vast majority of the people who have succeeded all went to the same schools and learned from the same people.

More important than a 30 second or 1 minute free standing handstand to begin learning OAHS you need correct form. 

Oh thank you! Just found the group! Oh my god the number is so low! I thought like at least 5.000 people can do a straight one arm handstand, even more a straddled one. 

Is this so hard or is just no one training for it?

I have no idea what the number is but I know that Facebook group isn't even close to representing it.

I personally know just locally a good number of people who can OAHS. People doing  press OAHS is obviously going to much fewer, but why the need to assign a number to it? It's not like there is a global census  taken for people who can press OAHS. 

Don't forget there is a world of Sports Acrobatics out there that doesn't get much attention, but there are plenty of flyers who can do it for certain.

• Upvote 2

Mikael Kristiansen

Im sure there are more than 500 in the world who can do a 1 arm handstand. Wouldnt be surprised if there are a couple of hundred within the bboy community alone, if not more, who can. Before circus i learned it like that as well and seen some bboys manage on their first try. On top of that you have loads within circus, sports acro, and now also plenty of enthusiasts are also learning it.

For how many can press 1 arm its not so many. Most of them are in sports acrobatics and they seem more focused on competing than showing off on social media. Im sure that there are more than 50 who can though. Its a common move in sport acro and 16 reps from straddle L is the most I have seen. It is still very very hard. Stalders have little carryover to it but its good to have 10 at least. Straight and straddle 1 arm has little carryover as well, but you must at least have 30 sec-1min 1arm to have any reason to work it. Its a very specific thing and you are probably at the level of a pro handbalancer some years before you manage it. 

• Upvote 8

hannahandstand

Im sure there are more than 500 in the world who can do a 1 arm handstand. Wouldnt be surprised if there are a couple of hundred within the bboy community alone, if not more, who can. Before circus i learned it like that as well and seen some bboys manage on their first try. On top of that you have loads within circus, sports acro, and now also plenty of enthusiasts are also learning it.

For how many can press 1 arm its not so many. Most of them are in sports acrobatics and they seem more focused on competing than showing off on social media. Im sure that there are more than 50 who can though. Its a common move in sport acro and 16 reps from straddle L is the most I have seen. It is still very very hard. Stalders have little carryover to it but its good to have 10 at least. Straight and straddle 1 arm has little carryover as well, but you must at least have 30 sec-1min 1arm to have any reason to work it. Its a very specific thing and you are probably at the level of a pro handbalancer some years before you manage it. 

Interesting topic!

Love your posts, great as usual, Handbalancer!

So why is the one arm press so hard? And do you need a straight one arm handstand for it or is a straddle enough? And are other thing required like flags or contortion handstands?

• Upvote 1

Mikael Kristiansen

I think i wrote about that sometime before. But, aside from having 1 arm rather than 2, you are passing through a much more disadvantaged position than on 2 arms. On 2, an L sit or a straddle L is the easiest part of a press and many can at least push their hips 10 cm up, if pretending to press to handstand. On 1 the hardest part is in the bottom because of the scapular placement and you have small and inefficient muscle groups doing a very heavy job.

Like i said, by the time you can even press down you probably can already hold straight 1 arms, flag variations and more. Flags have some relevance towards it in terms of strength but its very different technically.I know many great handbalancers who cant straddle press down, which is many times easier than up.(again not comparable to how down and up compare to eachother on 2 arms) I have seen some who learned it quite fast but they are absolute genetic freaks with contortion like flexibility, very short and insane strength to weight ratio.

• Upvote 2