Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tom Strojnik

Hi!

So I don't have an option to train with a spotter, this is why I got myself a new toy - Dream Machine (50/50)  :) 

Can anyone tell me how you should use it to get the best out of your training, how do the gymnasts use it?

How often do gymnasts use it?

For what skill works the best?

What is the best way to increase intensity on skills like planche, lever, etc (maybe vest, or ankle weigths?)

Any information is welcome!

Thanks!

Ivan Pavlovic

Like name says it is dream machine and it is used only to get a feeling of how certain skill feels like. Works best for iron cross, inverted cross and other skills where body is vertical to ground.

In planche your lean wont be as it is in unassisted planche i guess it is obvius why.

Francesco Pudda

In planche your lean wont be as it is in unassisted planche i guess it is obvius why.

The problem is that it pulls your pelvis up so unless you have a very good control you will end up piking. Since the belt is weared approximately at CoG height, the lean will be very similar to an unassisted planche.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

The solution for planche development is simply use a belt that could be moved up and down on your upper body. once you have fixed on the waist you can manage different aid by moving it more closer to the legs or more closed to the sternum. 

The obstacle is that in order to achieve your BW you need to attach to yourself your bodyweight. 

I prefer other approaches. for cross, maltese etc.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

Dream machines are mostly used for fun. They change the balance/feel too much to be very helpful for learning a position and they make things too easy to be useful for developing strength.

An adjustable dream machine (e.g. a pulley with you on one end and an adjustable weight on the other) is much more useful, as you can vary the resistance, and once you're down to only 25-35# counterweight, the balance feels much closer to the real strength hold.

• Upvote 2

• 10 months later...
Mathew Cornell
On 1/11/2016 at 10:54 AM, Joshua Slocum said:

Dream machines are mostly used for fun. They change the balance/feel too much to be very helpful for learning a position and they make things too easy to be useful for developing strength.

An adjustable dream machine (e.g. a pulley with you on one end and an adjustable weight on the other) is much more useful, as you can vary the resistance, and once you're down to only 25-35# counterweight, the balance feels much closer to the real strength hold.

Sorry josh just wanted ask what's the best way to set up the pulley system for planche?

do you also recommend trying this in    Maltese position aswell decreasing the load gradually overtime and keeping this  separate from actual static holds?

Hi guys,

The 50/50 is a training tool developed by the Italians with rich and strong history of some of the best Rings Olympians in the world.

Simply allowing you to progressively overload your ring strength until your reach body weight.

• Upvote 1

For those of you who have had experience with both the pulley system and the reduced leverage system (the elbow straps or the cross trainer), is one more effective than the other for training? Or one is better than the other for certain things, for example the pulley system allows for more fun/advanced movements, and the leverage system for better preparation for the joints?? Cost-wise I know there's a clear winner..

They are totally different. One reduces you bodyweight by 50% and the other reduces the moment (leverage) on the arm when in cross type positions and reduces strain on the elbow and biceps.

LARS is only applicable to straight arm work, whereas a 50/50 will allow bent and straight arm work.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cole Dano said:

They are totally different. One reduces you bodyweight by 50% and the other reduces the moment (leverage) on the arm when in cross type positions and reduces strain on the elbow and biceps.

LARS is only applicable to straight arm work, whereas a 50/50 will allow bent and straight arm work.

Good point! Reducing body weight applies to both straight arm and bent arm training, and LARS only for straight arm. For just the straight arm training tho, is there a preference of one over the other? 

Joshua Slocum
On 11/12/2016 at 0:28 PM, Mathew Cornell said:

Sorry josh just wanted ask what's the best way to set up the pulley system for planche?

do you also recommend trying this in    Maltese position aswell decreasing the load gradually overtime and keeping this  separate from actual static holds?

It works well for planche (straddled and full), cross, inverted cross, and maltese. It's not as good as having a friend spot you though. Once you're at the point where you're ready to start working those positions (e.g. done with the foundation series and rings 1), I'd try starting with no more than a 25-45# counterweight. If you need more than that, you should be focusing on other things anyways. 

• Upvote 1

Hello Jin,

Focusing on 50/50 work and LARS work prior to building proper mobility, core strength and mastering protraction, hollow body etc is doomed to be an exercise in futility.

Yes, these are both excellent tools.  At the right time and the right stage of training; I use them all the time with my intermediate and advanced level students.  

However for beginners, other than as a brief entertainment factor, they are merely a distraction.  First things first.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2