Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Leg muscle.

Vilmantas Jurkaitis

Vilmantas Jurkaitis

Hello, i want to ask for an advice. Im 17, a few years ago my knee was operated 4 times and because of that my legs are weak, because I didn't walk for a long time which also affected it. When i try to do squats, like full ass to the grass squat it feels like impossible, I squat like to 70 degree angle bodyweight and then my thighs just start to shake, and I feel that I can't go lower. I tried to do 5x5 program, I could squat with 20 kg but it wasn't even near the full squat. I wanted to ask you how can I build muscle strenght to atleast do a single bodyweight squat ? I'm feeling depressed with my situation.

Matthew Jefferys

Try cycling. An exercise bike or a flat road can provide lots of stimulus for the quadriceps (that sounds like what you're struggling with). Otherwise, wall sits and glute bridges are great for the quadriceps without holding the full weight of your body.

• Upvote 1

Exercise and eat at a surplus that can build more bone and muscle. You're 17 so you still have lots of time in the world compared to the 30yo people getting into fitness and senior citizens.

You'd probably be fine with something like a lunge since it's neither as deep or as difficult as an air squat.

A leg press machine is often used with seniors for hypertrophy purposes when they are too weak (or with poor balance to squat). It'd be alright probably as an accessory exercise.

That being said, high reps with using an assist method like holding onto rings, a pommel horse, or a pole would help. 

My dad being older got inactive about 10 years ago and now has chicken leg syndrome so I'm trying to push him to use the stairs a lot as an exercise tool (his balance is also poor because of cartilage issues).

One of my buddies used to have his classes do like 15 laps of lunges per day. Looked like torture. Probably felt like torture.

Hello, i want to ask for an advice. Im 17, a few years ago my knee was operated 4 times and because of that my legs are weak, because I didn't walk for a long time which also affected it. When i try to do squats, like full ass to the grass squat it feels like impossible, I squat like to 70 degree angle bodyweight and then my thighs just start to shake, and I feel that I can't go lower. I tried to do 5x5 program, I could squat with 20 kg but it wasn't even near the full squat. I wanted to ask you how can I build muscle strenght to atleast do a single bodyweight squat ? I'm feeling depressed with my situation.

I recommend following up with a physical therapist for a yearly evaluation of your progress; due to the 4 operations. You need to focus on obtaining your maximal range of movement; 70 degrees is a very shortened range for a squat. As the knee movement improves, muscle will have more available space to get the sort of strength you will truly want for the future.

One idea, since you are 17, is to add your knee mobility as an additional subject for you to study, say 15 to gradually 30 minutes spread out throughout the day (not at one time). If this is important for you, treat it just as important as any other school subject you are studying. Gently, progressing the movements to get full motion, then considering strength training much later down the line; if you achieved full mobility. During this process, you will learn a great deal about your knee, your work ethic, and how your body adapts safely, without pain over a long period.

• Upvote 1

Matthew Jefferys

I don't think he has knee mobility issues, he simply can't hold his weight below a certain point. Can one even have knee mobility issues? I've never heard of that  :huh: Other than hypermobility of course, but that's a whole different story.

• Upvote 1