Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

rings vs. bar dismount

LeeLee Weiland

LeeLee Weiland

I have access to rings over a pit, but not a bar over a pit. Will practicing basic ring dismounts like front flip and back full transfer over to the bar? Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Personally I find them different. On rings your should coordinate the arms and rings movement so that the exit will end under the rings. on the bar the exit ends away from the bar.

If you consider single backward flip there are some things in common as, for example, the moment where you have to left the rings and the bodyline. byt when you consider harder variations like double layout things change.

Coach Sommer

I have access to rings over a pit, but not a bar over a pit. Will practicing basic ring dismounts like front flip and back full transfer over to the bar?

No.

They are completely different.  When swinging on rings, the rings swing around the body.  When swinging on high bar, the body swings around the bar.

A subtle difference, but one which painfully becomes very clear as your shins will slam into the bar if you attempt a high bar dismount using a ring dismount technique.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

Katharina Huemer

I can not give any professional input, just my personal experience. I have done tons of bar dismounts, both from high bar and uneven bars. We sometimes tried from rings for fun and it is soooooo different! Personally, I think rings are less scary (it hurts when you hit your shins on the bar!) but I find it easier to generate power from the bar, but maybe because I am not used to rings. Probably not what you wanted to hear but that is my opinion :)

LeeLee Weiland

Thanks.  Would rings be more difficult?  It seems that way when I do basic front flip dismount and back flip dismount.  The back flip dismount is way more difficult than a flyaway.  But I am nervous to do an inward front dismount off the bar without a pit under me, which is why I thought practicing the front tuck off the rings would help get over the fear.

Coach Sommer

... Would rings be more difficult?  It seems that way when I do basic front flip dismount and back flip dismount.  The back flip dismount is way more difficult than a flyaway ...

If that is the case, then you are doing both dismounts incorrectly.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer