Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Numbness in right hand while doing HS

rauelvick

Hi all; i've been practicing handstands for about 2 weeks already and i've been getting progressively better at it. But recently i've experienced a numbness in my right hand (dominant hand) while doing handstands. What puzzles me is that this was a problem that has never plagued me before; and why my right hand when its my stronger arm? I am doing 1 min wall handstands with hands within a centimeter from the wall and only the feet touching it. Wish someone can give me advice on this, thanks.

Probably some compression in your brachial plexus.

I would stretch out and massage all your muscles and possibly do some nerve glides. Mobility work for the scapulas as well.

Make sure the shoulders are pushed out during your handstand. Sagging will compress stuff.

Coach Sommer

You are doing too much handstand work for your current level of strength. Take several days off, and then begin your training again but with only 20-30 second holds and see if that helps with the problem.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for the replies! Will cut down on my work for handstands now to allow my body to compensate and working on some shoulder stretching to gain more flexibility.

Btw braindx, when you say pushing out your shoulders, is it like you forcing your shoulders out so that your body is elevated higher somewhat? Hmm does it differ from pushing the shoulders into their sockets? Because from what i've read in this thread: http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1961, it seems to be detrimental to do so; and i've stopped doing so after reading it. Hope you can clear my clouded understanding of this, thanks :D

Thanks for the replies! Will cut down on my work for handstands now to allow my body to compensate and working on some shoulder stretching to gain more flexibility.

Btw braindx, when you say pushing out your shoulders, is it like you forcing your shoulders out so that your body is elevated higher somewhat? Hmm does it differ from pushing the shoulders into their sockets? Because from what i've read in this thread: http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1961, it seems to be detrimental to do so; and i've stopped doing so after reading it. Hope you can clear my clouded understanding of this, thanks :D

The correct handstand technique is to push your body as tall as possible. Aka shoulders are in the ears elevating your body.

The yoga handstand is the one with the shoulders in the sockets. This is incorrect. If you were doing this then (1) you read that thread incorrectly, and (2) it will explain some of your symptoms.

Coach Sommer
If you were doing this then (1) you read that thread incorrectly, and (2) it will explain some of your symptoms.

Very good answer, Steven.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I suppose this is the correct way of doing it?

shoulder%2520shrug.jpg

(taken from beastskills.com)

Sorry for being so incessant in questioning but its kinda hard for me to understand between pushing out fully and pushing the shoulders into the socket.

rauelvick, is that typically your full extension while standing?

I can see there is a considerable angle at your shoulders, your head looks forward of your spine. Might want to look at and think about that as well.

Hmm, apparently that is Jim from Beastskills. My bad. :roll:

I can see there is a considerable angle at your shoulders, your head looks forward of your spine. Might want to look at and think about that as well. . . . Hmm, apparently that is Jim from Beastskills. My bad.

Regardless of who it is, that is still an incorrect position. In addition to extending the shoulders upward as far as physically possible, it is also quite important to ensure that the shoulder angle is completely open and that the head is in a neutral position.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer