• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Coming Soon] GB Thrive: Nutrition for Lasting Results

Scott Malin

Greg Thebeau

Excellent question.

First, time for a little hard truth.  

Nutritionally speaking, most of you tend to have what I call the 'Shiny Monkey Syndrome':

1) You see something new and want to pick it up and play with it; usually the latest media generated nutritional crisis/magic bullet/aladdin's lamp that first fills you with either Fear or Elation and then simultaneously promises to physically get you where you want to go in the shortest possible time and with the least amount of effort.  Eureka!  Your long awaited moment of triumph is now at hand.

2) You play with your new nutritional toy to the exclusion of all else - for a time.  Unfortunately the promised miraculous results are slow coming and frustration begins to creep in and push aside your previously boundless enthusiasm.  After all - it's been weeks already!

3) Then you see a new shiny object, and dropping your previously beloved shiny object, you now feverishly clutch the new one possessively to your chest.  At last, you have found the nutritional secret you have been endlessly searching for! - until you see your next new shiny object.

4) And this cycle of celebration/frustration goes on ... and on ... and on.  During which time you fail to master the basics of nutrition and make no substantial progress as you are always jumping from one new concept to another. 

GB Thrive Level 1 is a 12 week course designed to offset this nutritional ADHD and build new nutritional habits by focusing exclusively on mastering the fundamentals of nutrition.  No bells, no whistles, no 'magic bullets'.  At your guys' level these things are distractions which derail long term progress.   You guys are beginners.  Rather than deny it, embrace it so that you can take care of your business and finally move on.

The course begins simply and the gradually increases in complexity over time thru the addition of new nutritional fundamentals which require daily action or 'habits'.

These habits must be successfully implemented for six days in a row to count as 'completed'.  Daily online log entries are required.  Failure to successfully implement the new habit for six days in a row will result in your being required to go back and re-attempt to achieve mastery the following week.  

New nutritional fundamentals/habits are introduced on Mondays and Thursdays.  You focus on sound nutrition Monday thru Saturday with Sundays off.  You should make a reasonable effort to not be a complete nutritional idiot on your day off.

Note that the next section of GB Thrive will not unlock for you until you have successfully completed the prior assignment of 6 days compliance in a row (not counting Sundays).

Each of the nutritional habits is also paired with a lifestyle discussion which either discusses the science behind that particular habit or aids in adjusting your personal lifestyle to more effectively implement GB Thrive.

If you are looking for a quick fix or how to lose 10lbs in 10 days, GB Thrive is not for you.  However if you are serious about finally taking concrete action to implement the essential fundamental building blocks of sound nutrition into your own daily life; then there is no more effective nutritional program anywhere.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Does my one day off have to be on Sunday or can it be on any day?

Do you give detailed plans on what I need to eat?

How much time do I have to spend to figure this out, i.e....am I going to have to spend large amounts of time calculating and/or weighing things etc?  

Thanks

• Upvote 2

Indeep Jawanda

If you are looking for a quick fix or how to lose 10lbs in 10 days, GB Thrive is not for you.  However if you are serious about finally taking concrete action to implement the essential fundamental building blocks of sound nutrition into your own daily life; then there is no more effective nutritional program anywhere.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

To coincide with the release of GB Thrive, I think people might find the following video released on December 29th, 2015 also valuable to kick off the New Year.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365635287/

• 2 months later...
Jeff Serven

Henry,

Would that be a problem for you? If so why? Do you simply like to eat it or do you feel whole grains are a healthy food you are unwilling to give up? 

Alexander Egebak

I personally would not be able to give up rye bread.

Jeff, what is your opinion on rye bread?

Jeff Serven

Henry, I like bread and cheese too! But....you've gotta' flex a little to make the magic happen

Alex, its rye bread. its defiantly not going to kill you and in the very dogmatic nutritional world it is often considered less harmful than whole grain bread in terms of anti-nutrients. More so than getting hung up the the exact least worst bread option I would focus on reducing frequency of consumption first. 

Alexander Egebak
4 hours ago, Jeff Serven said:

Henry, I like bread and cheese too! But....you've gotta' flex a little to make the magic happen

Alex, its rye bread. its defiantly not going to kill you and in the very dogmatic nutritional world it is often considered less harmful than whole grain bread in terms of anti-nutrients. More so than getting hung up the the exact least worst bread option I would focus on reducing frequency of consumption first. 

Thank you for your time.

Rye bread is literally a national meal in Denmark. It is cheap, easy to consume and satisfy the hunger quite well.

I will see what I can do in terms of reducing total consumption.

Jeff Serven

Alex,

I can appreciate the cultural significance of rye bread in Denmark. Ive been to Copenhagen via German ferry. Cool place! I really enjoy getting out and seeing new countries and foods. The older the better. So let me play devils advocate to myself to give you some ammunition to fire back at us bread haters. 

Look into nutrigenomics.  It studies how nutrients alter gene expression. From one person to another DNA is +99% the same. Copy number variants can range from 1 to hundreds. For example a northern european (yourself) may have more copies of the genes that deal with carbohydrate particularly rye bread consumption given it is a long standing staple of your ancestry. 

Its though by some very dogmatic people bread was invented during the "agricultural revolution 10,000 years ago" There is anthropological data that shows people were trying to make bread from tubers and eventually grains as far back as the fertile crest. So the concept of it being "new" is unsubstantiated. 

The fad of low carbohydrate diets to lose body fat is predicated on said individual being insulin resistant. If such person is insulin resistant and depending on the degree he will succeed that much. Which begs the question what if Im not insulin resistant? What if Im insulin sensitive due to my genetics having the the right copies of the right genes to deal with high carbohydrates often found in bread? 

Anyway, Alex some things to think about. Another few things to think about is - what if you look at the glass half full instead of half empty? What if you focuses on what you can add instead of take away? 1) Do you drink water? Silly question but a lot of people don't. 2) Do you eat vegetables? 3) How well do you sleep? Can we improve here? 

You are more than likely going to keep eating rye bread so don't dwell on it just try to add some stuff to offset it. 

Cheers,

Jeff

• Upvote 13

• 1 month later...

I'm tempted by this.  I think this the area of my life that receives the least attention, not in terms of volume of food - as I come from a bodybuilding background, but in terms of the quality of food that I'm eating.

Not sure how I feel about having to 'unlock' a course that I've paid the full price for....but if the standard lives up to that of the other courses, then I imagine taking the plunge.  How easy is it to unlock the other sections of Thrive 1?

Jonathan Pettit
50 minutes ago, Paul Gray said:

Not sure how I feel about having to 'unlock' a course that I've paid the full price for....but if the standard lives up to that of the other courses, then I imagine taking the plunge.  How easy is it to unlock the other sections of Thrive 1?

Hey Paul,

I completed Thrive about a month ago.  I agree, I felt somewhat ... miffed, I guess, at having paid full price and only getting one task to look at.  It felt like buying a whole book and only getting to read one chapter.

That said, the approach really works.  By focusing on just one thing a week, you get to nail it down, and it feels less overwhelming when you have to juggle more stuff.  Jeff is also very active on the forum, and he gave lots of great advice and tips.  His posts and level of knowledge is a big advantage I didn't fully realize until I started sifting through the forums.  I don't ask many questions myself, but seeing his answers to others, usually going into more detail than required (and with a dose of humour) really helps.

And it works.  Did I mention it works?  I've eaten better in the last two months than the rest of my life, and best of all, it's a habit now.  I don't have to think about it.  I still get cravings for snacks and stuff, because chocolate is delicious, but they're slowing down.  I feel amazing, and though I'm very thin to start out, I've added about three pounds of muscle over the last two months or so, which is huge for me.  I feel better, I look better, I eat better, I can't ask for much more.

• Upvote 8

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.