Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GST and Carb Backloading

Caleb Stahl

Suzanna McGee

2–3 pounds meals… the 5 pounder was water melon… You are just changing it all the time. 

Here I have 2 lbs of shredded apples, 0.5 lbs pears, some almonds, some pumpkin seed protein. Normally I would have a shredded carrots in it too, but I ran out.  A few raisins. About 3 lbs. It's really not about the volume. I go for my calories. The volume comes with it if I eat fresh foods.

I am not "trying to make it out as you are attacking me as a person". No worry, I am used to this. Regarding the video, I did record when I was making my potatoes with onions, but never compiled and edited them together. I was thinking "really, why do I need to waste my time with editing this stuff just to prove you that I eat a lot". I truly have many more important things to do. Believe me or not, really, who cares? 

I eat 3,500 calories a day in raw plant-foods, it is a lot of volume. That's it. I like to eat. I am happy. 

apples pears almonds.jpg

On 10/25/2016 at 0:33 PM, Suzanna McGee said:

Hm, maybe more 2–3 pounds meals on average :)  BTW, that dinner:  3 pounds of cauliflower is only 325 calories, and 2 pounds tomatoes to it was 160… so it was under 500 calorie meal… again, not that much overeating, really…  Today for my morning meals I had 1.5 lbs of grapes, 1.5 lbs of pears, some persimmons and some almonds. Very ready for my GST now :)  A thought of a hotdog makes me puke without even smelling it or tasting it, lol, so processed, so unhealthy, so empty of nutrients. 

Thats great that you made the dish in the picture. Again I think its very cool that your as motivated as you are about nutrition. The facts don't change though, you made some very bold statements and where asked to prove them, thats all. 

• Upvote 1

Kate Abernethy

You should mention it all goes to the dog in the end ;)

Joking aside, this has been a very informative thread. Thank you everyone who contributed.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wow what a thread! 

Like a gauntlet, papers were thrown on the table, then totally demolished with a straw man fallacy identification thrown in. BOOM that was worth the read. All started by a post about a diet created by a Physicist who decided he knew about nutrition for moving heavy things up and down! 

On that note, I have used CBL previously and I did not get the same results, both with regard to strength gains or fat loss, as I did with Lyle McDonald's UD2. I think some of this can be attributed to the UD2 slotting in with my 8 day roster so well. Even while in the middle of CBL my blood keto measurements (little home glucose meter) never went above 0.3, not the fat burning machine that the literature spoke about. Where as after the depletion cycle on UD2 I was 1.0 and above easily.

BUT, in response to carbs are a requirement for performance, my biggest observation with a Keto diet is that most people have dabbled and almost all studies are done on people who are short term Keto adapted. Dr Peter Attia probably has the most robust look into long term adaption (on himself) and its effects on performance. From memory his data is showing long term adaption leads to the bodies ability to stay keto focused to much higher percentages of VO2 Max. I read this to mean that Glucose becomes less of defining factor to performance than is generally held to be true. 

That being said less than 25g of carbs a day is punishing! Not that I miss carbs when I am on it but it does take dedication. 

Oh and 3lbs of food is amazing! The guys at the station think I have big meals, that puts me to shame. 

Dan

• Upvote 2

Great post Daniel!

Yea I have read his research, both him and Volek are into that VO2 max thing and I like that they have used elite level cyclist in some of their studies. Good stuff. 

I also agree on the CBL .3 glucometer. Those were my exact results as well. According to the research done by Pinney you basically need a dedicated 3-6 weeks of solid ketosis before that number on the glucometer is going to get to his "optimal"(lack of a better term) level so doing less than 3 weeks (in the previously non keto adapted) and backloading carbs gives the body enough float room to use stored carbs and gluconeogenisis for the gap between carb feeds. Its not long enough to do a complete change to ketosis. 

In theory Ketosis is easy. In reality most people a) don't eat enough fat, b) eat too much poly c) eat way too much protein and d) carb creep reaches 50g+ a few days a week. I have tested a number of people who claim to be in Ketosis and very few are actually above .3 Food for thought.

Good stuff Dan - lets keep it going. 

• Upvote 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.