Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are the possible ways to achieve a planche?

Aidan Bentham

Aidan Bentham

Personally I feel progressions for me aren't the best as I don't feel like I'm gaining anything. I probably am but it doesn't feel like it. However when I do planche leans I feel it hard, especially with palms facing backwards! So I was just wondering what are the possible ways to achieve a straddle planche at least?

Progressions

Planche leans

Negatives

Anymore? If the ones I listEd are incorrect please notify me on the error. Thank you.

Adriano Katkic

By following a top notch program designed by a top notch coach who actually did train many athletes and some amateurs to achieve a proper planche. Not by half-assing your way around it. Just my opinion.

Aidan Bentham

I can't afford the foundation series. I haven't been half assing it around. I've been training dedicatedly for the planche. What I want to know is if the training I'm doing is correct.

Ivan Pavlovic

If planche leans are to hard lean less or do plank. Planche training with palms facing back is not safe for begginers especialy if you do them everyday as you said in other topic.

Joshua Slocum

You can achieve a planche lots of ways. Consistent hard work and patience is key no matter what, though. 

Planche leans with the hands back should not be done by beginners: it's a lot of strain on the biceps/elbows and can lead to tendinitis.

• Upvote 3

Personally I feel progressions for me aren't the best as I don't feel like I'm gaining anything. I probably am but it doesn't feel like it. However when I do planche leans I feel it hard, especially with palms facing backwards! So I was just wondering what are the possible ways to achieve a straddle planche at least?

Progressions

Planche leans

Negatives

Anymore? If the ones I listEd are incorrect please notify me on the error. Thank you.

As Joshua said you should not do planche leans with palms facing backwards. And also to achieve a planche you will first to take the basics down and then probably you'll need a coach to find your weak patterns and attack them.

Toni Laukkavaara

There are alot of ways, best way is purchasing foundation. second best option is by doing the connective tissue training first and then jump into some strength elements

Just think. All those thousands of planche tutorials online came about because Coach spent ten minutes writing an article for dragondoor.

Now the same guy that basically opened GST to the public has developed a program optimised for adult trainees aiming for high levels. One of the progressions on the way is a planche lean.

Your call, and with guts you can get there following whatever worked for a youtube guy, but 'correct' comes from finding people who can teach it correctly.

Aidan Bentham

Thanks for all the great answers. Maybe I just need to take a step back and actually have a stronger foundation. Just because I can hold it doesn't mean it's strong or with great form.

• Upvote 2

I can't afford the foundation series. I haven't been half assing it around. I've been training dedicatedly for the planche. What I want to know is if the training I'm doing is correct.

Save your funds for the course, if you can't afford it now. There is a number of people who have had do the same, prior to purchasing the entire course or courses we are working our way through.

• Upvote 2

If you start saving 5 bucks a week, you'll be able to buy the 1st foundation series in a few months.  That 1st one will keep you

busy long enough to save up for the next one (etc). :)

Aidan Bentham

Thanks Jules I do have a part time job so I guess I could do. Which document explains how to do the planche just so I have an idea of how many I need to buy? It is $275. Is it worth it?

Edited by Aidan Bentham
  • Upvote 1

The Foundation series is just that, a series. Think of them as volumes. Start at 1 and then work your way through it and then begin 2 (etc). 

The straddle planche one of the skills that is the end goal of the foundation series.   If you want to try the Foundation route, save up some money, buy just foundation 1, and then take advantage of the 30(?) day money back guarantee. (If you feel its not for you, then get your return it).  You can do the mastery testing of each skill in the early progressions to see how you fair.   I'm confident that after trying foundation you will see how underprepared you are and you will probably be up for the challenge :)

But really it depends on what you want. If you want to build an amazing body capable of many things, foundation is the way to go. If you just want the Planche for a party trick, then the hard work and time commitment of foundation isn't for you. Neither is right or wrong, it is dependant on your end game.

Leonhard Krahé

Foundation will help you find and correct imbalances you didn't even know you had (or chose to ignore/work around somehow).

• Upvote 1

Aidan Bentham

To be honest with myself it's a bit of both. I have a passion for bodyweight training but I also love when people look at me and think 'how the hell does he do that?!' Perhaps it's because I'm still young.

Maybe you're right. I assumed just because I could bring my feet off the floor and hold a tuck it was strong enough. I pushed my scapula apart and protracted them but it still may not be strong enough and I'm guessing the foundation deries will make me realise those gaps of strength I am missing.

I set myself a challenge to at least achieve a straddle planche before April 2016 as I'm off to Barcelona and they have a bar park designed for calisthenics and it would have been good if I could do a bit more than just a handstand. I'm relatively light too so I thought it would have been alright. :)

If you achieve a sPL in 4 months I would be both surprised and impressed. SPL is a journey which requires time and patience.

If you can't afford Foundations at the moment start by reading this

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/5959-scapula-position-for-basic-and-static-exercises/

SPL is all about how much you can lean forward while keeping your body hollow.

More protraction needed from the last video. Also, try not to fall out of it but press back to the starting position.

Can't afford really means I don't want to spend the money, I had that mindset once also. There is nothing out there as thorough as the Foundation series, makes all guessing and experimenting completely unnecessary. 

Save, then buy. Well worth it and you can't put a price on knowledge  :)

• Upvote 1