Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

climber vs gymnast

MrAl

What is the strength difference in female climbers and female gymnasts?

One of my best friends is dating a girl for a while now and she is a competitive rock climber but has done a gymnastics as a child.

We went to gym last night together and it turned out she was amazingly strong in a gymnast way as well!
The optional girls my friend coaches had condition circuit and the girl joined them.

Well, she could climb the rope in perfect L faster than all the girls on team. She could crank out 17 L to V leg lifts without even a sight bend of a knee which was equal than the strongest girl on team (Level 9 USAG) could do. She could also do 5 straddle presses from straddle L in a row as well as a pike press from L on p-bars with amazing form!

She trains rock climbing/bouldering 6 days a week. She does warm up, then climbing technique and routes, then 30minutes of strength (she says pull-ups, ropes, leg lifts) and I

in the end she always does handstand and press handstands.

But still, how is that possible? Is climbing so strength building? I know the things she did are just really basic things and I am sure a male rock climber would lack in shoulder/tricep strength tremendously but fr girls it seems to work.

I know thought I might go climbing as well to improve pulling strength and endurance!
Any thoughts on this?

• Upvote 1

This is the no. 1 reason you should be climbing:

http://matadornetwork.com/sports/women-rank-rock-climbing-as-the-sexiest-sport/

Kidding aside, climbing will make you more proficient in the pulling department and overall core strength, but IME it will not get you even near to doing the gymnastic stuff you mentioned above. My guess is that she does specific training for this.

Climbing is totally awesome and can give you some of the best experiences you can imagine. That's the main draw of climbing for me.

• Upvote 1

ive found gst here to be a much greater help towards climbing than the other way round.  bouldering requires some pretty good core strength and body tension as well as pulling power for sure but a lot of climbers do specific training to help them achieve this these days.   rope climbing a lot less so imo unless you are doing some crazy overhang in which case you are basically bouldering with a rope on.