Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two cool hard uncommon skills

Razz

O very nice razz :D Especialy azarian to planche, wich I have never seen it before :oops: Just in code of points :lol:

It must be one of the Japanneses, if you look closely in second vid, you can see from coaches shirt it could be Japannese.

Maybe Tomita????

Joshua Naterman

Those were awesome! I do think it would be cool to see azarian to BL, to planche, to maltese, to cross. I suppose that wouldn't be worth the strength drain, but holy crap would it be cool!

Coach Sommer

The gymnast in the two video clip excerpts above is Yan Mingyong at the 2009 Chinese National Games Prelims.

ftLI0pgrfQc

A few years ago (2007), I took my athletes to a competition in Houston (the HNI) where both the Chinese and Japanese Jr National Teams were scheduled to compete. I particularly wanted to observe the Chinese training on pommel horse, however I was surprised to see that my best athlete (Allan who was still two years away from winning the Jr National Championships at that time) swang pommels as well as the best of the Chinese.

Where the Chinese did impress me was on the still rings, where the entire team was incredibly strong with rock solid malteses. I am not sure if Yan Mingyong was present at that competition, but his physique shown in the clip above is quite similar to those of the Chinese athletes who were present.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hey Coach,

Is the Chinese preference for not turning out the rings (even to parallel) in their handstands advisable? I've always been under the impression and felt that when I was practicing rings handstands that you obtain a bit better control with them to at least parallel or turned out a bit more. However, most of their athletes it seems like don't even bother doing it.

Also, sick routine. back lever to maltese and the inverted hang to maltese.

Coach Sommer

That was indeed a surprisingly poor handstand. Without being personally familiar with the athlete I am not sure if it is due to a technical error within the routine or the inability to correctly rotate the arms . With the quality of the rest of his work, I would expect Yan Mingyong's handstand to be better.

On a similar note, I have had several long discussions with two of the male Chinese Olympians regarding the ability of the Chinese women to perform full pirouettes to a dorsal grip on uneven bars to a complete handstand and yet the Chinese men (and the rest of the men in the world!) seem to be unable to come closer than 45 degrees past handstand. Despite the Chinese performing the same physical preparations and drills with their men for years, the Chinese male gymnasts continued to be unable to execute this skill with the same degree of virtuousity. In the long run, the Chinese simply realized that the male shoulder girdle and attendant muscle mass are simply unable to exhibit the same range of motion of the female.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 5 months later...
Joshua Chan
O very nice razz :D Especialy azarian to planche, wich I have never seen it before :oops: Just in code of points :lol:

It must be one of the Japanneses, if you look closely in second vid, you can see from coaches shirt it could be Japannese.

Maybe Tomita????

Gregor, I've been looking through the code but I can't find the azarian to planche. I have the 2009 edition. Where is it?

I don't have code of points right now where I am sleeping to look at.

the skill is hard and it's just E value if I remember corectly.

Yes, bouth should be an F!

It's an E because basic planche is C value, basic maltese is a D value (so that is why is an F).

Wangtang6911

That Azarian Maltese is called a Yan Mingyong. Well, atleast thats what Yan Mingyong told me a few months back. I can't see the youtube clips here in China, but I think its insane that he does that as his first skill and then does an azarian maltese for his third skill (The routines he was doing at the time)!

One even more stupidly is a gelder element. From back lever press slowely to planche is an E value, to maltese is an F. Of course Gelder wouldn't be a gelder if he wouldn't do them both.

Joshua Chan
Yes, bouth should be an F!

It's an E because basic planche is C value, basic maltese is a D value (so that is why is an F).

I see, thank you!!

Wangtang6911
One even more stupidly is a gelder element. From back lever press slowely to planche is an E value, to maltese is an F. Of course Gelder wouldn't be a gelder if he wouldn't do them both.

I thought the Van Gelder was a back lever to planche with a bounce? I might be wrong, but if there is that 2 second hold in there, that skill should definitely be an F!

Maltese lower to back lever bounce to maltese is E

maltese or planche lower to back lever bounce to planche is E

thats the descriptions, the F version of the first mentioned is with a 2s hold in back lever. Haven't seen a 2s back lever press to planche yet.

He does to maltese not to planche as of what I have seen, and it is not really as clean as it could be (still impressive don't get me wrong).

Maltese lower to back lever bounce to maltese is E

maltese or planche lower to back lever bounce to planche is E

thats the descriptions, the F version of the first mentioned is with a 2s hold in back lever. Haven't seen a 2s back lever press to planche yet.

It' doesn't say you must hold 2s a back lever just you don't decline from a maltese to back lever and then press, but you porbably can just decaline from inverted hang to back lever position and press up without of any hold I guess.