Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

skipping pushing exercises - what happens?

Katharina Huemer

Katharina Huemer

Hey guys,

just a basic question. 

Is it bad to not do dips/push ups if you don't train for hollow back press or anything bent arm?

In the USAG Tops Testing for Girls, there is rope climb and presses for strength, but no pushing strength. I see it is vital for boys, but what is for girls?

At my gym (we have a few really good gymnasts around L9/L10 skill wise), they do a ton of presses, handstand holds and walks, pull-ups, V Hangs, Leg Lifts, and walking back and forth the p-bars but straight arm... no dips or push ups at all. They sometimes to a few push-ups at warm up but that's it.

Personally, I always did and still do dips, but I was wondering what would happen if I skipped them except getting weaker in dips?

Would other skills suffer? like V-Sits or Handstands?

Thank You

Alessandro Mainente

If you skip BAS you will lose the ability to press from bent arm position. high level coaches in Italy believes that should be no difference in the general strength program between girl and boy.

girl should do handstand push up, ppp, dips, i've seen one strong dutch girl last year in a summer camp doing free hspu. for the girls there is no specific pushing elements with bent arm. but sometime the bent arm is necessary to recover positions during cast, swing etc.

• Upvote 4

Katharina Huemer

If you skip BAS you will lose the ability to press from bent arm position. high level coaches in Italy believes that should be no difference in the general strength program between girl and boy.

girl should do handstand push up, ppp, dips, i've seen one strong dutch girl last year in a summer cam doing free hspu. for the girls there is no specific pushing elements with bent arm. but sometime the bent arm is necessary to recover positions during cast, swing etc.

Thanks for the answer!

I see, more strength never hurts! I was just wondering if it would be bas for skills like press handstands or V-SIts if you skip dips and push ups!

Joshua Slocum

It's important to work opposing movements in order to maintain structural balance. Major structural imbalances are likely to lead to impingement and other issues. If you're working bent arm pulling, you need to also be working bent arm pushing.

• Upvote 3