Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strange shoulder pain

William Gripp

William Gripp

Hello everyone,

It's been 3 months since I first noticed this pain in my shoulders. But before I talk about it I want to say that I've already did an MRI scan and it showed that nothing in the shoulder is damaged, and I have been visited by an osteopath and a physiotherapist which made me do some exercises (it didn't help).

So the pain is basically a line between the middle and the rear deltoid, and I feel it most when doing exercises like HS push ups (and of course tuck planche push ups) and when I try to push the arm (being straight) laterally against a wall. The strange thing is that I feel the pain (for 3-4 seconds) AFTER I stop pushing...of course this also happens when I lift something up and then I release it.

And I noticed it's painful when I try to stretch the infraspinatus by putting the hands on the hips and squeezing the elbows in but I don't know if that's related to the problem.

Now it's been 3 months and it's still persistent I don't really know what to do and I hope someone here will be able to tell me what this type of pain is. 

Sorry for wasting your time but I tried a lot and it won't go away 

Most likely a rotator cuff issue, perhaps even bursitis. 

From the description two things come to mind. 

- Infraspinatus massage, lay with on a baseball or similar pressing on the is.  and gently move to roll the ball

- I've seen this caused by over reaching form the humerus. Doing band exercises, particularly band external rotation while focusing on keeping the ball of the humerus centered on the  glenoid cavity can help with this issue.

Note, I'm not a doctor, I don't even play one on TV.

• Upvote 1

Hello everyone,

It's been 3 months since I first noticed this pain in my shoulders. But before I talk about it I want to say that I've already did an MRI scan and it showed that nothing in the shoulder is damaged, and I have been visited by an osteopath and a physiotherapist which made me do some exercises (it didn't help).

So the pain is basically a line between the middle and the rear deltoid, and I feel it most when doing exercises like HS push ups (and of course tuck planche push ups) and when I try to push the arm (being straight) laterally against a wall. The strange thing is that I feel the pain (for 3-4 seconds) AFTER I stop pushing...of course this also happens when I lift something up and then I release it.

And I noticed it's painful when I try to stretch the infraspinatus by putting the hands on the hips and squeezing the elbows in but I don't know if that's related to the problem.

Now it's been 3 months and it's still persistent I don't really know what to do and I hope someone here will be able to tell me what this type of pain is.

Sorry for wasting your time but I tried a lot and it won't go away

The posterior cuff appears to be effected because of what has been described. I find it interesting how the pressing and push up movements are great rotator cuff prescriptions as well. The infraspinatus particularly has a high recruitment force during the movements presented here. In this chart found in Journal of Orthopaedic & Sport Physical Therapy, pg. 112:

http://www.jospt.org/doi/pdf/10.2519/jospt.2003.33.3.109

look at the high % Maximal Voluntary Isometric Contraction of the infraspinatus specifically over the other shoulder muscles in the positions of push up and push up feet elevated.

The infraspinatus is recruited more than even pec major and ant deltoid.

Do you mind sharing the exercises prescribed by the osteopath and the physiotherapist?  Type, Frequency? Where they Isometrics, or stretches?

William Gripp

Do you mind sharing the exercises prescribed by the osteopath and the physiotherapist?  Type, Frequency? Where they Isometrics, or stretches?

The physiotherapist made me do some exercises with 1-2 kg weight where I had to keep the scapula down while doing certain movements with the arm, he said that those exercises are for stabilization of the arm-scapula and can be done everyday.

Well there is obviously an imbalance in the shoulder musculature and this will be reflected in your training. The exercises prescribed, if added to what you are already doing won't make much difference compared to HS push ups and tuck planche push ups which put great loads through the shoulder.

Are you following Foundation programming or your own training protocol?

• Upvote 1

William Gripp

Well there is obviously an imbalance in the shoulder musculature and this will be reflected in your training. The exercises prescribed, if added to what you are already doing won't make much difference compared to HS push ups and tuck planche push ups which put great loads through the shoulder.

Are you following Foundation programming or your own training protocol?

I always worked out on my own and now that I think about it I was going too fast and never did proper preparation exercises,but I realized it too late. I remember having issues with my shoulders even before this problem, and I just skipped shoulder workouts while doing all the other work. I guess I overused the rotator cuff and this is a supraspinatus inflammation. But could it be that even if I rested for 2 months and half and it's still here?