Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Mathematics of Movement

Rajesh Bhat

Hello! I was just curious, in one of Cory's emails concerning movement,  he stated that:

"A back handspring alone requires over 7x bodyweight each time your hands or feet impact the ground."

I was wondering how one could mathematically show this, and similar statements about gymnastics in general.

Thanks!

Christopher Schwab

Oh cool, I think I'll grab a copy of that! Looks like a really interesting read (and motivation to get better at basic math again)!

Jacob Morsbøl

Do you know what the prerequirement in terms of knowledge of mechanics and physiology for this book is?

Oh cool, I think I'll grab a copy of that! Looks like a really interesting read (and motivation to get better at basic math again)!

If this book is intended at physics of biomechanics even on an intermediate level I am not sure you can rely on just basic math  ;)

If anyone is interested in the motor learning side of things, I like the book Motor Learning and Control: Concepts and Applications by Magill & Anderson. It's not gymnastics specific but you can draw connections easily by yourself.

Also, motor learning tends to be a bit more difficult than physiology, so the text is a bit more difficult than the book Zach mentioned but there is no prerequisite.

• Upvote 1

post-16980-0-56137300-1449774645_thumb.j

GB library series... I like that.

Here is a recommended book if someone is interested in the gross anatomy visuals of the topics that may be addressed in some of the other books. This one got me through grad school and is still nice to have around.

There is a pdf. version of Frank H. Netter, M.D. Atlas of Human Anatomy, as well.

• Upvote 2

Bryan Wheelock

Does the The Science of Gymnastics have calculation for the forces required for Front Levers, Crosses, etc.?

I searched on Amazon and only found a front and back horizontal hang, which I guess is the same thing. It just listed a table of the average hold times for sub-Elite gymnasts.

I didn't really understand the table because it listed Female front horizontal holds avg 20s vs men 5s. 
They must be different holds.