Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you have all 4 series, how do you train for it? all at the same time?

Katharina Huemer

Katharina Huemer

I have a bunch of questions and I hope someone can help me!

A lot of my friends at uni were recently asking about where to start if they want to learn a bit of gymnastics and I advised gymnastics bodies. I have Foundation and Handstand and love it although I have not done it regular because I competed and trained at a club.

Anyways, while talking to them some questions popped into my head.

- If you have Foundation, Handstand, Movement (so excited it is out!) and Stretch Series, how do you train for      all of them? All in one day? How many days a week? Or one day two and the other the other two? Do you keep the intensity the same?

- What is covered in Movement? Handstand forward roll, back extension, cartwheel, round off? What else?

Thanks in advance!

I have a bunch of questions and I hope someone can help me!

A lot of my friends at uni were recently asking about where to start if they want to learn a bit of gymnastics and I advised gymnastics bodies. I have Foundation and Handstand and love it although I have not done it regular because I competed and trained at a club.

Anyways, while talking to them some questions popped into my head.

- If you have Foundation, Handstand, Movement (so excited it is out!) and Stretch Series, how do you train for      all of them? All in one day? How many days a week? Or one day two and the other the other two? Do you keep the intensity the same?

- What is covered in Movement? Handstand forward roll, back extension, cartwheel, round off? What else?

Thanks in advance!

One at a time :-) ... most days of the week.. with a recommended intensity that leaves life feeling great every day.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Break it up. Start slow and start with Foundation and Handstand. Then if that works, add in the stretch series and movement. Movement can be done once a week or more. Foundations is usually done 3-4 times a week for most folks, either with all the elements being performed in one workout or half of them. Handstand work can be done 2-3 times a week depending on your level and recovery ability. It can be a stand-alone skill workout or after your foundation stuff. The stretch series are stretching so they can go on their own or after any requisite workout (Foundation, Handstand, or Movement).

Kevin Herring

I've been struggling with the same thing.  It's a matter of finding enough time during the week to do everything and recover.  And get everything not GST done too.

At some point too much is just too much. And you have to accept the compormise of leaving something out or practicing a particular skill less frequently.

I'm considering doing twice a day training. Foundation and/or Handstand before work and moving Movement and Stretch to after work.  Probably picking only one course at a time. Example Foundation (a.m.) Stretch (p.m.) -- Handstand (a.m.) Movement (p.m.)

• Upvote 1

Michael Brimage

Yeah I've had to ease back due to injuries and time limitations. I use GB 1) to strengthen and mobilize my hip which was repaired in February and 2) supplement my BJJ. I found that I was spending too much time on my supplement at the expense of family time and BJJ. So right now, for me, it's F7 one day per week and each stretch course on separate days. I will add Handstand back in, one day per week, once I recover from a sprained wrist and thumb suffered at BJJ. I seem to be doing okay and inch by inch getting more mobile. I have never lacked strength. It's about balance and remembering what YOUR priorities are.

David Birchall

Don't know if this is "correct" or whatever but I find a more intuitive approach to work best for me where I moderate intensity based on how I feel.

I am concentrating on three elements doing extra work for them in the early morning.  I do 1-3 sets of 10-15s holds of FL & PL or PL/FL double leg extensions for 1-5 reps and 5-15min handstand work every morning.

AM is not really foundation per say and is pure strength with very minimal volume but daily - a bit like grease the groove really.  PM I do strict foundation.

I just moderate intensity based on how I feel and deload every 4th week or so.

I try to train every day and do A-B-A-B-A-B.  If I feel sore I take a rest day.

Stretching takes priority for me and once its done for the week I do movement after my strength sets.

I use the templates as a target/guide and I don't live by them.  If I feel worn out, I may even just do a couple of - or even just one - sets in the evening plus extra mobility if I'm already happy with the numbers I hit on that week, no time or just feel lazy, not had enough sleep or w.e but make sure the next day I hit it properly when I'm fresher.

I like doing FsS after TbS because it gets it done and I feel the two compliment each other.  Middle Split comes nicely after lower workout as I've just done SLS and MsS has a lower SLS progression embedded in it: Side to Side SQs so before it I usually do TwS, Inside Squats and Skiers too for a nice leg mobility day.

I do JCurls, Dislocates, Xiaopengs heavy once a week usually on friday or saturday and I try and make sunday a rest day.

AM - Wrists, Planche, Front Lever, Free Handstand

PM - FL PL HBP RC,

PM - ( TbS+FsS) or (Movement)

AM - Wrists, Planche, Front Lever, Free Handstand

PM - MN SL SLS HS,

PM - (MsS) or (Movement)

Kevin Herring

Well that idea was a disaster.  :facepalm:

Apparently training time is a vacuum. And nature hates a vacuum and works hard to fill it.

Twice a day training is too much.  Work increased the production cuz it's the end of the year/quarter/month.  Two guys transferred out so we're doubling/tripling the time in the "ergonomically deficient" stations.  Can we say back spasms? 

And increased production at work means less recovery.

Plus Christmas shopping/obligations, plus the dog has decided that 2:30am she needs a drink, pee and poop just about every night.

Finding one hour to train is difficult.  Finding more than one is not possible. The day is running 3am to 9pm consistently for about two weeks now.

Dialing it back to human levels.

F1, H1, T1, Stretch.

Hopefully I'll find the time to build a stall bars over the holiday and finally be able to add in Thoracic Stretch series with Front and Middle Split. I'm going to need it after this month of work.

That whole 'life' thing is the other reason we recommend starting on the lower end and gradually adding if/when that becomes sustainable ;) it's not just recovery

• Upvote 3

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I would add that the best bet is to just stick with the Stretch series, the ims focus on mobility and ROM, the Stretch series are phenomenal and in my opinion, the most bang for your buck of GB. Given your time constraints, focusing on just that could help a lot of areas. Another possible add-in could be to just do one go-round of all previously mastered elements. So, say you've mastered PE2 of one of the seven Foundation elements, to do one set at mastery of that progression and its mobility, and to also do that for the six other elements. This way you may not gain ground, but you certainly won't lose ground. It will keep the muscle memory fresh. It's a less than optimal scenario, but often times life likes to take a monkey wrench to our plans, just because. 

• Upvote 2

I agree with Daniel. Start with F1/H1 first, and add the stretch series when you're ready. Gymnastic Bodies and life definitely clash with each other in terms of time. I wish I was more committed to the foundation series but I have family troubles along with the struggle of trying to transfer out by next year.

Having said that, I envy those who bought the whole foundation package. Wish I had that for Christmas :D