Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 Straddle Presses in one set

hannahandstand

hannahandstand

I want to know how gymnasts train for straddle press handstands in a row?

I can do about 3 straddle presses from a sit with straight arms and 3 pike presses from a stand.

I have always found it amazing to do 10 straddle presses in a row from straddle L and would like to start training for it but have no clue how.

Should I continue working on pike presses and V-Sits as well or is there no carry over?
How much? How often? Any other exercises? 

Thanks!

First you must ensure you have a proper handstand and strength foundation. For this, get the GB Starter Pack, which contains the first courses of the Foundation and Handstand series. Alongside this, start learning the basics of press handstands (i.e. preparatory elements) from the Handstand 2 course (H2). When you buy these courses, you will get access to comprehensive, private online forums where you can post form checks and questions regarding course material.

Good luck!

hannahandstand

First you must ensure you have a proper handstand and strength foundation. For this, get the GB Starter Pack, which contains the first courses of the Foundation and Handstand series. Alongside this, start learning the basics of press handstands (i.e. preparatory elements) from the Handstand 2 course (H2). When you buy these courses, you will get access to comprehensive, private online forums where you can post form checks and questions regarding course material.

Good luck!

Thanks for your answer but I was gymnast and I think I have a proper foundation already. Legless rope climbs are no problem, so are leg lifts and pull-ups and handstand holds.

We also worked on press handstands but not in a row, at least not specifically! And I wanted to know how I can train for that!

you may have deficiencies, I think senior members would want to see your handstands and your presses. Either way, just post some videos, and we'll get a better idea of where you have problems.

... Thanks for your answer but I was gymnast and I think I have a proper foundation already ...

If you already have a proper foundation, then why aren't you already doing 10 stalder presses in a row?  ;)

There is a huge difference between having done gymnastics and having been trained at a high level.  The fact that you were trained with only single rep of pHS at a time is quite telling.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

hannahandstand

If you already have a proper foundation, then why aren't you already doing 10 stalder presses in a row?   ;)

There is a huge difference between having done gymnastics and having been trained at a high level.  The fact that you were trained with only single rep of pHS at a time is quite telling.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for your comment, I really appreciate it! Yes, I know. But I didn't do tops or so, that's why we didn't train for that. I was just asking how you actually train for more straddle presses in a row. Just do as much as you can everyday? Would Pike Presses Help? Straddle L Holds? Presses with weights?

I can press with weights (like albs on each ankle) pretty well. But I think presses in a row are A LOT harder than just one with weights! 

I know I will probably never get to 10 presses in a row, but it would still be pretty cool to do 5 or so. I just don't know how to train for it.