Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tumbling

Alex Dacres

So Im 3 months into following the GB syllabus (roughly two thirds/halfway through F1) and I have decided to attend an adult gymnastics class twice a week in addition to my foundations, handstand, and flexibility training. In these classes I intend to focus on tumbling. I realise that coach is working on a movement course but in the meantime I am wondering if anyone has any advice on what to learn and what order to learn it in to best complement the gymnastic bodies courses? Please bare in mind that although I'm usually a fast learner I have never done gymnastics before.

I was thinking of focusing on:

Cartwheel

Roundoff

Front handspring

Back tuck/ back flip

Front tuck/ front flip

Back handspring

Toni Laukkavaara

Cartwheel and roundoff are excellent choises imo, but the flips and back handsprings might be too overboard, maybe do them in trampoline? hard to say since you have no videos

Alessandro Mainente

my personal pov is that you need to consider some pre requisites before training some skills, specific mobility and technique related skills are related with some tumbling movements as follow:

handstand mastery:

-backhandspring, front handspring, roundoff, carthweel

bridge mastery:

-backhandspring, front handspring

My suggestion is also learning the movement on the big trampoline. to properly learn back tuck and front tuck on trampoline you need to know basic handstand alignment.

• Upvote 2

"Cartwheel
Roundoff
Front handspring
Back tuck/ back flip
Front tuck/ front flip
Back handspring"

More like:
Kick to HS and fwd/backward rolls (down a wedge mat, then floor, straddle>tuck>pike; then straight arms) and side cartwheels over a panel mat then on a line. Bridge work off a height, then eventually walkovers and limbers, etc (look up the progression Coach Sommer wrote up).

Once the side cartwheel can be done on floor instead of a panel mat, it's about making it vertical on a line. Assemble a canyon to doit between (place wedges or blocks parallel to a floor line with enough space to fit through).

side note: it's a good idea to practice both sides of a cartwheel at first regardless of which side is dominant. Easy enough over a panel mat. 

When the side cartwheel is mastered, it's time to introduce the cartwheel from a lunge. This will still be practiced on both side but once work on the round-off is begun, it will only be trained on one side. 

***Note, some coaches really like FrontHandspring Step-Out to be mastered before Round-Off prior to teach a hard kick.

Lunge Cartwheel Lunge (on a line though hands do not need to be placed on the line for FX purposes). Lunge Cartwheel to Step-In (look it up).

***Handstand snap-down/up/through before RO.

Once the basic kick to HS is mastered, fwd roll out of it (stand up a wedge) ***kick to HS flatback in there somewhere, HS to bridge against wall/wedge to bridge. HS to bridge on block or panel mat. Front Limber/walkover work

Front/Back saltos shouldn't actually come until after Front/BackHandsprings. The first is a flyspring bounder on trampoline/tumble-trak. BackHandspring after.

On a trampoline, the back drop and stomach drop should be mastered from standing or a bounce AFTER the table/doggie and seat drop.

Bounce, seat drop, back drop.

Bounce, doggie, stomach.

Eventually a roll will be added to these such as back pullover on tramp (which is preparation for a back tuck) and porpoise.

Bounce, doggie, fwd roll turns into Bounce, doggie, flip to seat drop (then stand). 

***You can look these all up if you find George Hery's or Dan Millman's videos or Joy Umenhofer's trampoline videos. George is big about not rushing into flips, learning basic positions on tramp and transitions such as turns/twists.

FHS/Flyspring is taught before backwards because it's easier and the landing is safer (back vs head). Headspring can be taught on floor first with the use of a barrel (headstand to bridge). It also teaches how to repulse off the hands from a flight.

Backhandspring is taught before back salto because if you learn back salto first, it makes back handspring harder to learn. It's not the end of the world but there is a tendency for gymnasts to learn how to stretch out the backhandspring if they learn back salto first.

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the advice. It's apreciated although looks like Coachs timing couldn't have been better for me as Tumbling 1 has just been announced

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...
Jon Douglas

Rolls, cartwheels, rolls to/from HS, and integrated series :)

Eventually they will be regular warmup but for now its a (short) workout for me ^_^

• Upvote 1

Oussama KHELLADI
10 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

Rolls, cartwheels, rolls to/from HS, and integrated series :)

Eventually they will be regular warmup but for now its a (short) workout for me ^_^

thank you :)

yes back in 2010 i was training in a gym and we were warming with this mvts, it was very pleasant and joyful and it breaks the warming boredom  

enjoy