Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stall Bars but Metal

Wayne Grima

Hi everyone. I'm new to GB's and though I don't need them yet the time is coming were I'll need some stall bars.

I've looked at plans both here on the forums and on the net and I'm confident of making them with no problems

but after giving it a bit of thought I think I'd like to make them out of steel (light gauge). Why?? well you see I have

2 giant termites at my house, they have 4 legs, yes a joke. I just know when I'm not at home my dogs will take great joy

at gnawing on some wood, they won't be able to help themselves. I say they but it's really only 1 of them that would

take delight in this but the other might follow.

Anyone made them out of metal, or does anyone think it's a bad idea. I can't see why it would be.

Appreciate any advice, thank you

Metal is stronger of course, and not as tasty to pets.

If you have the tools to be able to work with it, or a local fabricator then go for it.

Cheers Cole. Yeah not a problem fabricating myself. I use to be a fabricator by trade. I would prefer wood as they'll look a lot nicer but I just know that my dobes would help themselves...the younger one would for sure... she is a rascal.

Cheers Cole. Yeah not a problem fabricating myself. I use to be a fabricator by trade. I would prefer wood as they'll look a lot nicer but I just know that my dobes would help themselves...the younger one would for sure... she is a rascal.

I am interested in the details or pictures if you complete these.

Metal, as an option, is on my radar as well.

Ryan

Ivan Pavlovic

19x 100 cm long 3.3 cm thick bars, 2x 280 cm long 10x4 cm rods for sides and 6 iron clips with which i connect whole construction on wall. I gave 15$ for those 280 cm long rods, i found old 3.3 cm bars at iron landfill and gave a bit less then 10 $ for them, other money was for stick electrodes for welding, clips and screws i had at home.

attachicon.gifIMG_0767.JPG

Here is mine :) .... Only problem is that steel is cold at winter, so i need to use more wood to heat room. :D

Update us with pictures and details deffinitely, i really would like to see how it goes. :) ... Goold luck !

• Upvote 1

Sarah Gleeson

For the cold problem, could you use plumbing pipe wrap (the kind you plug into the wall) around the ends of the bars to keep it warm? I think it's called electric water pipe heat cable. It's about $1/ft cost wise.