Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What kind of bar should I use for a home-made high bar?

sasquatch

I live in Kingman, Arizona now and there aren't any gyms close so I have to make my own.

The first thing I'm building is a high bar, but I dont no what kind of bar to use, any suggestions?

Are you planning to install this outside or inside? I am trying to come up with a plan for an outdoor free-standing pull-up bar/high bar. I can't say that I have come to a decision, but since it has to stand up to the elements, I may try to find a bar that would otherwise be used for outdoor play equipment. There are a few websites that have materials for building your own playground equipment, and I am hoping that I can find a long enough bar to allow for some different movements.

Also, you can check out the hardware store for some fencing materials, but you will have to see if the texture is something that would work.

My bar is going to be outside. I'm going to cement two 4x4s two feet deep into the ground.

I can't do that until I have the right bar though.

What bar could I use that would be closest to the ones used in gyms? They have a lot of flex in their bars.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted it to be as close to a real highbar as it could be but even a real strong pullup bar would be good. I just cemented two 4x4s into the ground and tomorrow when the cement is harder im going to put another 8 foot 4x4 across the top of them. Im gonna have a ten and a half foot tall eight feet wide ring tower!

A milled, heat treated and tempered steel bar ain't gonna be cheap...unless of course you know how to shape it, treat it and temper it besides have access to the equipment for it including a very big salt bath container with all the dials. Also depends on what steel.

Just find something that will hold your weight.

• 2 weeks later...

You dont need anything tempered or heat treated, thats for tools and blades.

Get an 1.25 or 1.5 in steel pipe, galvanized, or black iron. You wont bend that, if your worried fill it with concrete.

If you are REALLY worried about it being bomb proof, go to a metal warehouse and get a piece of cold rolled steel. Prolly $35 for a 4 foot piece and I PROMISE you couldnt bend it with a 500lb guy jumping on the bar. Go for 1.25 or 1.5in

Timy7, the reason I mentioned the heat treatment and tempering, be it forged or milled, was if he wanted to be able to have bend in the bar; which is just silly imo for a home bar unless you are literally building a men's HB at home.