Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

soreness and recovery

ziv03

Hey,

I did a workout 3 days ago which included 6 sets of 4 secs back lever, and 5 sets of negative OAC (among other exercises).

now it's already 3 days after that workout and I can't yet perform a full back lever, and can't perform a negative OAC in my weak arm.

Is it possible that I need so much recovery time?

Yes, clearly from your experience :)

Negative oacs are extremely hard on the elbows, especially without thorough preparation but even with it 5 sets is on the high side. Pairing them with a back lever variation you can only hold for 4 seconds is asking for trouble and indicative that your physical prep may not be in place.

Is this the first time you've tried OAC negs? What body position in back lever did you use? Are you experiencing any pain in biceps curl movements ie. Tendon irritation symptoms?

• Upvote 2

I don't experience any kind of pain. I actually don't feel very tired or fatigue at all, I finished the workout feeling pretty fresh.

I did the full back lever. My max full back lever is 8 secs so I did sets of 4 secs. and it's very strange to me that I did 4 secs back lever in the 6th set and now I can't even hold it for 1 sec.

Your central nervous system is probably trying to protect you from damage, and therefore refusing to do what you ask of it - Do yourself a favour and pay attention to the signals it is sending to you.

• Upvote 1

... I don't experience any kind of pain ... 

You are going to; if not now then in the near future.  This is a very poorly designed workout for a beginner.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Aaro Helander

I think that if your back lever max is just 4 seconds, it's playing with fire to actually incorporate these max holds as multiple sets to your workout. And combining the negative OAC:s to the same workout is just asking to tear your elbows apart.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

My pov is that your body needs time because it is not ready for this type of work. I was in your situation years ago, I could held heavy workout two days a week.

After solid basic work that requires years your body will improve the recovery capacity.

The only exception for days and days of recovery is a workout template like bbuilder styles where muscles failure is the focus point. if you are not training like bbuilder and you have soreness for more then 1 or 2 days you should modify your workout.

• Upvote 1

If you are a beginner adult you should not even be trying to train the back lever. Either start with foundation series or attempt everything at your own risk of injury. It's possible to train without foundation series, maybe you could find a trainer GB approves or who trains systematically, but that is hard. I would say get the starter pack and move through. If you really think that you are ready for back lever, than Foundation 1 should be easy (at least the RC and SPL).