Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coach Sommer, Ido and others...help!

langdon0555

langdon0555

Hey everybody just wanted to get some feedback about setting up a new routine. Basically i have laxed on exercising regularly lately and need to hit it. I want/need to up my strength and fill out/add some mass back to my frame. I am '5 "9 1/2 around 145lbs. Not sure how many are familiar with "starting strength" by rippetoe but basically i would like to incorporate some heavy fullbody lifts..such as: barbell squats, front squats, overhead squats, deadlifts, power cleans. Then add some gymnastic/bodyweight movements for upperbody. Maybe like a M, W, F schedule and maybe a light recovery/conditioning circuit on saturday. I have 2 sets of rings, paralletes. I am going to join a gym so i can start squating, etc so i have a cage to do them safely. So basically my goals are mainly just getting stronger and adding some mass back....also working on handstands and maybe the front lever, planche work also. Any and all feedback greatly appreciated.

thanks

Casey

langdon0555

Coach Sommer, Ido, others...how does this look:

Monday

Squat 3x5 + WU

Weighted Pull-ups 2x6

Deadlift 2x5 + WU

Weighted Dips 2x6

Tuesday

Front Lever Isometric: 60s Total

Planche progression isometric: 60s total

L-sits

Handstand practice

Wednesday

Overhead squat 3x5 + WU

HSPU's: 3x5

Clean 3x5 + WU

Weighted Dips: 2x6

Weighted Pull-ups: 2x6

Thursday

Front Lever Isometric: 60s Total

Planche progression isometric: 60s total

L-sits

Handstand practice

Friday

Squat 3x5 + WU

DL: 2x5, 1x3

HSPU's: 3x5

Inverted pull-up: 2x5

Saturday

Rest

Sunday

Rest

looks ok, the key is to start off with this and take out what isnt working and add in new stuff all the time. do the isometric work until you have gained enough strength to do the full moves in negatives. for example full front lever pulls (ice cream makers) or inverted hang lower to hang. ive found negatives to be way more beneficial than just isometric holds.

langdon0555

What about ice cream makers with band assitant from the feet?? I have done these before and i can definately feel them....i wrap a band around the pull up bar.. put my feet in it and rock back and up.

casey

What about ice cream makers with band assitant from the feet?? I have done these before and i can definately feel them....i wrap a band around the pull up bar.. put my feet in it and rock back and up.

casey

its probably better to just work up to doing them one leg tucked by doing isometrics for a bit.

Langdon0555, I have similar goals since I'm interested in both weightlifting and gymnastic/BW strength moves. From my point of view, your program looks like you're trying to do too much at once, which is an easy trap to fall into when you're interested in several sports. I get around this by adopting the following rules:

- Work out 6 days a week

- Limit of 3 exercises per session

- Limit of 3 (4 max) specific, attainable goals in 2 month period

- Change routine after 2 months, similar but different goals and exercises.

So, using me as an example, my short term goals are:

- 2.5X BW deadlift

- 60 sec tuck planche hold

- 60 sec one-legged front lever

- one successful tuck press-to -handstand

My routine till next month is:

"A" routine (Monday, Thursday):

Deadlift

one-legged tuck crank

tuck planche pushups

"B" routine (Tuesday, Friday)

Military press

Weighted pullups

BW pistols

"C" routine (Wednesday, Saturday)

Wall press-to-handstand

Front lever holds

Tuck planche holds

For the individual exercises, I'll do something like 8 sets of 3-5 at 80% of max. This type of routine will help avoid burnout, especially if you don't max out on everything all the time. Your choice of short-term goals should be consistent with your overall startegy.