Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

weighted pullup progression

twan

I am just hoping that, at some point, people will realize that a routine recommended back in 2009 might not be something that is preferable when we have the Foundation work in 2013.

I think that your best long term results will come from following the Foundation protocols, quite honestly. It is also important, in my opinion, to pay attention to the basics of your nutrition: eat frequently, get plenty of carbs, a crapton of veggies, and protein from whatever sources you enjoy with every meal. In this instance, a crapton of veggies is one cup of cooked veggies per meal, and at LEAST 6 cups of cooked veggies per day. AT LEAST! This does make a big difference.

In my opinion there is only one affordable way to do this: Frozen vegetables. They're like $1.20$-1.50 per pound, on average. You should expect to eat around 3 lbs per day. Trust me, once you get used to this it isn't all that much, and you will feel great.

Is this will be published in upcoming F3 series?

Is there any difference between F1 / F2 and F3?

Quick Start Test Smith

Frozen vegetables are spectacular. Super cheap and easy to prepare.

Joshua Slocum

Is this will be published in upcoming F3 series?

Is there any difference between F1 / F2 and F3?

Foundations 1, 2, 3, and 4 are each elements of the Foundation series, which provides thoroughly detailed progressions for advancing from the very beginning all the way up to seven fundamental strength elements: the front lever, the side lever, the manna, the straddle planche, the single-leg squat, the hollow-back press, and the rope-climb. Foundation 1 contains the beginning progressions. Foundation 2 progresses from where Foundation 1 left off; F3 continues F2, and F4 completes the progressions. 

Foundations 1, 2, 3, and 4 are each elements of the Foundation series, which provides thoroughly detailed progressions for advancing from the very beginning all the way up to seven fundamental strength elements: the front lever, the side lever, the manna, the straddle planche, the single-leg squat, the hollow-back press, and the rope-climb. Foundation 1 contains the beginning progressions. Foundation 2 progresses from where Foundation 1 left off; F3 continues F2, and F4 completes the progressions. 

Joshua,

Thank you for the clarification on this subject.

What do you guys think about the Reverse Pyramid Training for weighted pullups. i Can almost do an oac i get a little above 90 degrees bent elbow both arms. One hell of a sticking point. Slowly progressing. Do you guys like the idea of doing 70 for 3 reps then 65 for 4 then 60 for 5? Try to up the reps on the sets you know you can do an extra rep. Then increase weight by 5 lbs on that set and drop the rep by 1. Do you guys think that is better than straight reps?

Curt Ferson

@Joshua N. - I have embraced the holistic approach of F1, and I'm not certain that adding more pulling work would yield better long-term results at this point. That extra effort can be used elsewhere. Still, the rapid gains in strength you described here make it appear like a magic formula, and I would love to blow past my previous best 13 pull-ups.

Joshua Naterman

@Joshua N. - I have embraced the holistic approach of F1, and I'm not certain that adding more pulling work would yield better long-term results at this point. That extra effort can be used elsewhere. Still, the rapid gains in strength you described here make it appear like a magic formula, and I would love to blow past my previous best 13 pull-ups.

You have to realize that I was specifically training for pull ups, with no other pulling strength in mind. That's what I needed, and that's what I trained for. I didn't have a lot of time, and I needed specific training to do well. As my results showed, the combination of eating everything in sight and focused work produced good results, but I would have failed to execute most of the beginning GST stuff in F1 correctly, and probably would have showed mastery on little if any of them.

By contrast, if you're following F1-4 then you will see a steady increase in how many pull ups you can do WITHOUT having to spend a bunch of time JUST doing pull ups. If you eat a lot of food, a lot of veggies, and train the way the Foundation series recommends you will have excellent results as well, but you'll build a much more well-rounded set of athletic abilities.

If I could change one thing with a time machine, it would be to take the Foundation work further into my past so that I could have spent my time on this for years instead of most of the weightlifting that I was doing.

• Upvote 1