Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

cramping in hands

Shelli White

When I work on free standing handstands, my hands start to cramp up from pushing with my fingers to balance. What's the best way to strengthen my hands so I don't catch cramps in my hands. Just keep working on them? Or is there another exercise that would help build strength in my hands?

It sounds to me like you have not worked with the handstand progressions given in H1.  In those progressions wrist exercises and worked thoroughly.  It is my understanding that balance in a correct handstand comes from the wrist not the fingers.  If you are in a correct handstand with your body in the correct position it should be almost effortless.  My recommendation is to work through the progression in the handstand series.

Hi Shelwhite,

I would agree with Sam in that the wrist stretches, wrist pushups, fingertip pushups etc will greatly help condition your forearms and hands. Cramping in beginners is usually due to the muscles involved simply being in a state where they are not conditioned enough for the task, like pointing the toes causing cramp. 

The point of balance in a handstand should be roughly an inch into the palm form the wrist creases of the wrist joint.