Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Squat mobility

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Before starting my GST journey I was following the Starting Strength program (5x5 bench, squat, deadlift and power clean). Squatting without proper mobility got my injured in my lower back, which I now see as a blessing since it got me here ;) Anyway, I'd like to start doing some weightlifting in the future (after finish F4 for SLS and F2 overall). My flexibility has gotten so much better since then (first half of 2014) but I still notice a "butt wink" (first picture) when squatting below a certain dept. I know weightlifting involves a lot of deep squatting, so I'd like to start working on getting better mobility so that it won't hold be back in the future. What's going to help me? Is obtaining the splits enough?

Thanks for your inputs, I appreciate you taking the time to write them:)

post-14515-0-59139700-1446062075_thumb.p

post-14515-0-74355400-1446062135_thumb.p

• Upvote 1

Murray Truelove

Allan Thrall (YouTube) is an excellent resource for squatting. A small amount of butt wink is fine (so Allan says).

there is a point when lowering at which the butt wink will always happen.  kelly starrett has some good stuff on you tube about foot/ankle/hip mobility tips to help get a deeper squat.  im currently watching one on youtube called rebuilding the feet, part 1.  

Alessandro Mainente

squat is all about ankles flexibility. Long adductors will never guarantee you a deep squat if you do not have flexible ankles. Evaluate the possibility of front split stretch series.

• Upvote 2

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

@Murray: thank you, I will check him out for sure!

@Alessandro: yeah, that's what I thought. I'm already working on the FS series, so I guess I'll keep doing that. Thanks!

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

@asswe: I've read/heard that a certain degree of butt wink will still happen even if you have perfect mobility, depending on your bone structure. With that being said 1. I don't have percent mobility at all 2. Since this "oh that's absolutely normal and ok" mentality got me injured last time, I'm trying to avoid it! :) I'll check those videos too during my lunch break, thanks!

Matthew Jefferys

I can't stress flexibility enough. As someone with a jamming ankle (right side) who wants to develop the squat as a resting position, I've had to put lots of effort into mobility. Buttwink will improve with hamstring flexibility. Until then, only squat down until you just start to wink, then come up. Don't go into 'full wink' just to get deeper. Stop once you lose a straight spine. Even slight buttwink with weight on your shoulders can cause injury. Make sure your adductors allow you to sit wide enough too. A squat stance should be wider than shoulder width! 

Also, really work on back extensions, and any exercise that concerns the lumbar spinal erectors. They'll keep your lower back from rounding even if your hamstrings are tight and tugging your pelvis into posterior tilt. It takes relatively little effort in the hamstring flexibility department (5 fingers on the ground, with locked knees and feet together should be enough). Make sure to sit 'back' during the descent, and consciously engage your abdominals. This should also clean up your form and contribute to lessening the wink.

Matthew Jefferys

It's not just the hamstrings that cause buttwink, the gluteus muscles and adductors are involved too. It's simply the case that hamstring stretches help with buttwink more than anything else. Be sure to give your adductors and hip rotators some attention as well!

Edited by Mercurial Flow

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Thanks Mercurian Flow, that was really helpful! My pike flexibility has improved a lot, I can touch the floor with palms down, cold and bent arms. Achilles, in the other hand, are pretty bad! I started working on that more, and know I'm sore in the front of my shins, so I must have hit the right spot!

I'm working on my back extensor with the SL elements from the foundation series, and you are right, I'm pretty weak at that (in fact my torso collapses at the bottom of the squat). It really helps to stay seated in the bottom ad a deep squat and place weights on my knees to push my ankles rom (I stole this from Charles Poliquin). I'll report back to see if I'm progressing nicely!

• Upvote 1

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

I have to add something. I've been seated for a couple of hours in class and my right outer front shin is killing me. I don't remember doing anything too intense as far as mobility/flexibility work, so I don't understand why this is happening. When I take pressure off the ankle (let the foot float, not putting it on the floor) I get some relief, as well as when I massage it. Hopefully it is just some soreness and it will get better in a couple of days!

Matthew Jefferys

It might be shin splints (you might have done too much on your ankles!) I wouldn't worry about it too much; just give it rest. Make sure you're also training your ankle stabilisers; tibialis and fibularis muscles. Performing exercises that involve dorsiflexion will help strengthen those tissues on the front of the crura (lower leg).

• Upvote 1

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Thanks for your posts, you've been really helpful! Hopefully it's gonna get better on its own with some rest!

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

It has been a week and the pain is completely gone (thank Goodness). This week is a deload too, so that should give it some extra rest. I've found a clue that is really going to be beneficial to reduce my butt wink (or so I hope). Apart from tight ankles, the other area that seems to be problematic for most people is the upper part of the hamstrings, right where they connect with the glutes. I started to actively trying to achieve APT when doing my usual pike stretching form the FSs, and it makes a huge difference! I'll report the results of this more down the line, but I'm confident it will help a lot :)

• Upvote 1

Matthew Jefferys

That could be one of the hip rotators (gluteus medius and minimus) that is tight. It'll often manifest as low-glute, high-hamstring tightness or pain. Either way, working on both will improve your squat from. It's so awesome to hear you're making progress!  :D Now if only I could get rid of my jamming ankle, I'd have a perfect squat  :(

• 6 months later...
Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

I guess it's time for an update. I've been squatting 3 times a week for the past 4 months. I can hit well below parallel without any problems whatsoever (and I squat low bar). Best way to get better at squatting? Squat more often. Yeah, you need the right amount of flexibility, but doing the actual movement with some weight is going to help a lot, since specificity applies. 

PS: just for the record, after more than one year doing the FS series, my ankle mobility has seen pretty much no improvement. But since I use a raised heel to squat, I've had no issues. I'll keep working on it, maybe by the time 2020 it's going to be better :)