Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GST for the Grappler

Brian Oravetz

Brian Oravetz

I have done my due diligence, I think, and have looked through threads to see if there were any specific threads regarding GST and the grappler. 

I'm 45, better than average shape and flexibility for a guy my age, lifelong martial artist (specifically Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (BJJ), and Muay Thai). And I'm competitive. 

While I'm fairly flexible to this day, I've had one of those years that has seen my ability to train affected, and my strength and stamina have suffered. And that is a problem when you're on the mats doing BJJ. 

Speed, timing, explosiveness as well as static strength are all brought into play in a BJJ roll or competition. And it is something you have to keep going for 5 minutes at a pop. Unless you're in class and it is shark tank day in training; which means you could be on the mat while each student gets a 1 or 2 minute crack at you until everyone in the class has had a go. 

The typical BJJ student who practices regularly is in good shape; there is no way around that. However, what you all do is another level entirely. The strength, mobility, balance and smoothness that you've enabled with this type of training is off the charts. And I cannot help but think that this can only be beneficial to a BJJ player. 

The thing is, there is a LOT of info to take in. And because there is so much, I went ahead and purchased the Pro subscription, as well as the Thoracic Bridge program to see how this goes. I have no clue as to where to place my focus to start. I am not asking anyone to write me a plan, but I am asking, in your opinion, what exercises should I consider as the foundation for my training. 

As info, I recover very well from workouts. I think thats a function of being an old Army Infantry guy, and doing this style of training for a very long time. If you've ever been to a BJJ class, you know that every class is brutal. Not as brutal as when a gymnast has a bad day (ya'll hit the ground pretty hard...), but ya can get a limb snapped off. I can give at least three days a week to this. The stretching is something I can do everyday, because I've always enjoyed a good stretching session. I've just never had a structured one. 

Thanks in advance. 

As info, I'm including a video of a no-gi BJJ match up. A BJJ fight can look a lot like damn spider monkey's trying to kill each other. I'm capable of much of what's on this video, even at 6 feet tall and roughly 205; limited by what a drop in activity levels occur to a 45 year old corporate hack. 

Hello Brian, interesting background!

To keep things simple, acquaint yourselves with the courses one at the time, in order to avoid info overload. I would definitely start out with just training the Foundation One for a month, as this course is literally at the core of the curriculum. Once you're comfortable with the structure, terminology and execution, add in Handstand One, which is also crucial.

At your level, you can then opt to add in one or more of the stretch courses. Given your background, and that you are already flexible, you could do this on an ad hoc basis, i.e. if you run into problems doing straddle ups, get going with the middle split stretch course.

Hey Brian,

Reach out to Oz Pariser. He's been to a GB Seminar, and he's an accomplished BJJ competitor from New England. I know he incorporates GST into his grappling training as well.

Best,

Chris

• Upvote 3

Nicholas Green

You're definitely on the right track if you want to include GST in your training. As others have suggested, Foundation is going to be the place to begin. Given your age and other activity level, the 3-day template in the course would probably be perfect for you, and it just so happens to fit with the time constraints you have. As far as the stretching goes, you did well to purchase the Thoracic Bridge course first. You jits guys spend a lot of time in thoracic flexion, and this course will help you balance this out. I think between 3-day Foundation and Thoracic Bridge you should be good to start. You can always add more things in down the line.

• Upvote 2

David Beckerman

Hi Brian,

Whilst I am not a BJJ guy I am a judoka and do Foundations. I split my GST workout ABA etc style and have 3 sessions per week. It has helped me immensely. Adding Foundations etc does affect my recovery and vice versa but I improve in all areas so am happy that Ican include everything. The stretch series is awesome and has boosted my judo and my GST.

Cheers,

DB

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
Nicholas Camic
On 10/13/2015 at 0:13 PM, Christopher Garay said:

Hey Brian,

Reach out to Oz Pariser. He's been to a GB Seminar, and he's an accomplished BJJ competitor from New England. I know he incorporates GST into his grappling training as well.

Best,

Chris

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd let you know that I train with Oz in CT, and the guy is seriously a beast. He is the one who finally pushed to do GST to improve my jits/fitness.

• Upvote 2