Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello! and Wow! Yet another new guy

Brian Oravetz

Brian Oravetz

Hi ya'll! 

I have to say that this is one helluva impressive bunch. I run with a pretty stout group of athletes; but this group takes the cake. I'm impressed and fascinated seeing the skills and stories involved with this training methodology. I'm far from being able to be a contributor; but I'll do my best to contribute positively where possible for moral support. :-) 

As for background: I'm a fairly athletic 45 year old guy, with just about 35 years of martial arts experience. I'm an active Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai student and teacher. My flexibility and mobility are better than average, as well as over all fitness for a guy my age. I travel a lot for work, so I tend to take what I need to train BJJ on the road when I travel; and I've become very serious about finding a fitness methodology to not only take on the road with me; but to improve my over all mobility, fitness and supplement my game on the mats. 

Fortunately, I tend to recover very well from workouts. I'm an old Army Infantry guy, so I'm used to taking a beating, and at times I may not know that I've pushed too far. So I will seek plenty of advise from ya'll on doing this right. If I'm lucky, I'll train some combination of BJJ and Muay Thai 3 times per week. I see this fitness platform that can be something that I don't have to miss. So, this is as important to me as my lifelong passion of the martial arts. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is potentially a great way to improve the body for longevity. I have a lot of people left to annoy. :-) 

I'll look forward to interacting. 

• Upvote 1

Pogue here.  I'm not quite your age, but getting there. 

This is definitely the best thing I've found for finding and fixing the weak links in the chain.  You'll start finding all kinds of imbalances and weaknesses that you never knew you had.  Just be patient and maintain the standards- test yourself honestly, even when it is something you *think* you should be capable of.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Be sure to post to the forums with form check videos, when in doubt, about maintenance of those standards. You never know when something is a little out of wack. It'll save you loads of time troubleshooting form. Godspeed, and welcome aboard GB.

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

with the recent re-introduction to martial arts in my life again (26yrs old) ive really enjoyed how much the Foundation and Handstand courses have helped me stay alive these past couple of months. the mobility has saved me and allowed me to move my hips around and squirm pretty "okay" and a few of us here swear that bulgarian dips and pullups are made specifically for the active grappler.

enjoy letting the guns out once you start getting some traction with the training. you'll be amazed at how strong it makes you if you apply it correctly. make it to a seminar if you can, it'll put you on the right track from the get go.

addendum: there are quite a few guys on here that have integrated GST with BJJ successfully, so they'll chime in any minute. :)

a few of us here swear that bulgarian dips and pullups are made specifically for the active grappler.

Daaaamn straight. That plus I am honestly amazed at how much k have gotten away with re the shoulders and elbows :D niche strength and amazingly applicable mobility

• Upvote 2

Keilani Gutierrez

if you're refering to B Dips or B pullups, i havent worked upto to those yet.

just some mishaps with Dislocates but I've already learned my lesson. :D #derp

edit: just realized you misplaced K for I. nice one. xD

if you're refering to B Dips or B pullups, i havent worked upto to those yet.

just some mishaps with Dislocates but I've already learned my lesson. :D #derp

edit: just realized you misplaced K for I. nice one. xD

Haha, that worked ok didn't it :D but yeah, I meant I/me
  • Upvote 1